Sign in to follow this  
Scotty66

Help!!! Unable to download due to weird problem

Hey guys, A few days ago I tried to download something form your library, however i came across a problem which i have never seen before as i am normally able to download flawlessly. When i clicked on the 'download' button (opened in a new window, as i do), it loaded the page fine, until a few seconds later, it just stopped, and closing the window or clicking anywhere on the page freezes it. I cannot find a solution to the problem and it seems to be unresolvable to me but i believe it is something to do with the Papal button loading on the page. Have a look at this (especially the status bar message highlighted in the red box bottom left):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188413.jpgIt would be really great if you could get back to me ASAP as I'd really like to be downloading from AVSIM again in no time!Windows XP Professional Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600Internet Explorer Version: 7.0.5730.13ISInternet Security/protection: Symantec Norton 360Thanks a lot in advance

Mike 

Guest drawlins

I've encountered the same problem, starting about 1 week ago. The download page hangs while trying to load .gifs from paypal.David R

Clearly there's more than one person with this problem, any offerings? There must be someone with ideas somewhere. Please help as i really want to be downloading again from AVSIM very soon!-------------------------------------Michael J. Rolph

Mike 

Here's another victim -- same problem; hangs at "paypal" loading. Will eventually start downloading when a different file is selected, but this AM doesn't want download anything. I give up! JackD

The "hang" problem may be a conflict between "paypal" link and Norton AV. I used "End-it-All" when the problem occured first thing this morning, went back to Downloads and proceeded with no further problems. Then rebooted Windows and enjoyed the problem again.Can anyone duplicate this?JackD

Guest Jezz

I also have just started having this problem, and my initial thought was it was due to the installtion of SP3 for Windows XP, but I see people with SP2 are having the same problem.The download page seems to load properlyeg. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=121844but when the download starts the to load the "send file" I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"where I used to get the popup warning and could right click to download the file.Anyone in the Avsim webteam have any ideas how to solve this problem?Yours in Appreciation,

Guest Jezz

Well, the downloads have started working again but I still get the same download problem with these two files.SweScen Xpansion Skellefte

The subject problem of this thread remains.Since the problem has occured for several people, is there anybody at the Library who knows what they may have changed in the weeks before/after May 1 that may caused this strange anomaly?We would appreciate any help you can give.JackD

Good idea!Except i have already e-mailed the library, and e-mailed directly to a few members of staff, but have recieved no replies! :-( It would be really great if we could have some help here guys!

Mike 

Mike.Problem still exists; is sporadic and unique with this library.Should we start feeling ignored? :~(JackD

"Should we start feeling ignored? :~("Already am ;-)I cannot believe that after sending about 3 e-mails direct to the top Avsim staff, and several people writing on this forum clearly with the same issue, that we have not had even one syllable of any word of assistance from Avsim staff.But, what can we do?...Do they want us to use Avsim or not?Maybe the Avsim staff could give us some answers...We'll have to wait and see. In the mean time i'm using flightsim.com :-)

Mike 

Guest hendrikH

I'll be honest with all of you. I don't know which email you are talking about and I am not saying that we never received your email.All I am saying is that up until now I always response to an email that has not been handled my another LibMan. So maybe it got 'lost' somewhere.Anyway back to the subject/problem. I remember reacting on this topic from one email and in that email I said I honestly don't know why this happens. I myself use Firefox and IE7 with Vista SP1 32bit and until now not experiencing any problems. FYI I also you Antivir personal edition and S&D.My only suggestions is to check your security settings, firewall settings and/ or your router/ modem. Make sure that all the settings allow access to AVISM.I don't generally check the forum since I am quite busy. So if you have any questions you direct your email to me: hherryjanto@avsim.com. And I will response to it.

OK, thank you for your reply. I was just getting slightly frustrated that it had taken so long for a reply to come out. I understand that you must all be busy maintaining this great site, and i do think it's splendid you all doing it unpaid. Don't get me wrong, Avsim is THE best Flight Sim site out, period... which makes it all the more annoying when you can't download from it! :-)I will try to adjust my settings as far as possible but as i use a shared computer i do not want to change settings that might interfere with my other family members surfing ;-). I do have a question though. As i have concluded, it must be the Pay pal buttons causing the problem and this problem only occurred a few weeks ago, so these buttons must have only been added to the page around that point, so my question is this - Is there a slight chance maybe seeings as this problem affects quite a few people (a minority, I'll admit), that you could change the Pay pal links back to the way they were before the problematic buttons? I know the chances of this happening are slim but it'd be great if you could have a look into it.Thanks a lot.

Mike 

Guest hendrikH

Michael,It is quite a challenge with this problem. My question is have you ever try accessing the site by another PC but with the same internet connection? If you try it and it works I can say it must be the settings of that particular PC but if that does not work then it is the router/modem settings.Are you using IE7? What Anti virus software do you use?

Thank you for your reply Hendrik.Since i do not have access to another PC with Internet connection in our house as the others are either standalone, or have no Internet protection (which is why we do not access the Internet on these), it would be quite hard to test on another PC regrettably. :-( However in due course i will see if i can access the Internet on our other compatible PC, i will just have to be extra cautious. Here are my appropriate system specs:Internet Explorer Version: 7.0.5730.13ISInternet Security/protection: Symantec Norton 360 (all-in-one including antivirus)Windows XP Professional Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600There is one point that, after all this makes me feel even more confused about this. Only the other day i attempted to download something from your library and to my surprise it worked. The following day it also worked, but failed thereafter on the same day. This suggests to me the issue is entirely random, except when you download something on Avsim for the first time on one day, and this gives an impression to me that maybe it is not something to do with my PC and/or Internet. I will however leave that up to you to decide as you are far more technically minded than myself, but would appreciate at least a guess of an answer to this particular point.I really appreciate your help and i will do everything possible to sort it, as i am sure you will too. Hope this response helps as much as possible :-) Thanks a lot

Mike