Sign in to follow this  
Scotty66

Help!!! Unable to download due to weird problem

Guest hendrikH

Michael,My first suggestion is to try using Firefox, it that does not work my next suggestion is to change your internet security/protection. Personally I don't like Norton, it consumes a lot of resources from the PC. I'd say use Antivir or AVG they both are free, as good as Norton/McAfee and using less resources from your PC.IE is known for a lot of issue which I won't name them one by one. I am not saying my statement is a gospel but it is based on my experience and others. Let me know.

OK thank you for your advice, i had thought it might come to that. I have always known there are frustrating issues with IE and I have been considering FireFox for a while, and i may test it soon, but a certain family member says she prefers Internet Explorer for her work. I hope soon to be purchasing my own computer for my own gaming needs though, and then i will hopefully get FireFox with it, leaving the 'family' computer to the rest of the family! :-).At the moment however i am a bit busy outside the home environment so it is not at the top of my priorities, but i will hopefully be able to get fully involved within the next few months. Please by all means help the others who require it, and thank you very much for your advice, as i said, i will take it into account and use it when necessary. I will get back to you if there are any further developments on this issue, and if the likelihood of a new computer is imminent. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted and please as far as possible keep me and the others who need help posted with any other thoughts on this issue too.Cheers.

Mike 

Guest hendrikH

Michael,I will subscribe to this topic but please remember that I may not check the forum so often. As I said you can always email me hherryjanto@avsim.comI also want to make it clear that I WILL always give a hand. About the email that went missing. As I said earlier I am not saying we never receive it but I always response to email that HAS NOT been handled by other library manager..Looking forward to hearing from you.

Guest Jezz

Thought I should let this topic know that the problem on my computer has resolved itself, althought the two files mentioned in my earlier post still won't download even after I cleared the history cache of Internet Explorer.Very Strange.However I'd also like to add that I'm more than happy with the service provided at AVSIM and am finally going to make a PenPal donation to lend my support for the 20+ gigabyte's of downloads I've made over the years.Yours in Appreciation,

Guest hendrikH

Good to hear that Jesper. Are you using IE? If yes could you tell the rest what you did to make it work?Regards

Guest Jezz

Sorry, I can't think of anything that caused the downloads to begin again in IE, apart from following all the tips on the Avsim site including allowing the site to the Privacy page in Internet Options.Funnily enough when I do this it does not get added to the list. but perhaps it appeases the computer Gremlins!Ps. Donation was of course through PayPal, not PenPal :-]Cheers,

An update on the situation:I have been able to download about 10 things today, all from Avsim! :-) :-) :-) It seems after i cleared my entire, ENTIRE Internet history, i am able to download once more, so is that the solution, seeings as this seems to have worked for two people now? I'll see just how much longer i can download issue free and try deleting my history again if the problem arises again, and then see what that outcome is. I'll keep you posted.Thanks a lot for every-one's help!

Mike 

Guest hendrikH

Thanks Michael.

Another update:I just downloaded another thing from Avsim and tested 3 others on their download page and they all loaded the page completely fine! :-) So it's all still working. I'll keep you posted if anything should change.

Mike 

Just tried deleting all history -- it worked til I did a cold reboot, then no joy. Still intermittent but once I get one dowmload to load it's good for the rest of the session. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with that.Thanks for posting your info -- we'll try anything once.JackD

Guest Gary Buska

Sorry everyone I do not know how I missed this post. But from what I have read I seem to think that the problem is with NORTON AV and not a avsim problem at all. I can not duplicate it. But I do not use Norton and also use FIREFOX as a browser as there have been random problems using IE. If you feel that there is a problem than I would suggest you contact Chase Kreznor at ckreznor@avsim.com He is the Library Executive Director.Regards!Gary Buska Library Manager/Forum moderator.AVSIM.com

I have not had any problems downloading files except for these 2.SweScen Xpansion Skellefte

Guest hendrikH

Hi,Sorry, I was busy during the past week. I think you are correct about the problem. Its the character within the title. I tried downloading both files and it works fine with me. To be honest I don't know which settings you need to tweak within your PC. I am using Firefox 3 and Vista 32 bit. I have tried with IE7 and works fine too.I am sorry this is how far I can help you with the problem.FYI: if you feel no one is responding to this thread or any thread within the Library section of the forum, you can always contact us: library@avsim.com or you can contact me personally: hherryjanto@avsim.comRegards

Thanks for replying, Hendrik. I have no idea why these are the only 2 files I am having problems with at Avsim. I am using IE7 with all updates current. If it is the punctuation, I haven't a clue what setting to change.