Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Gainward 4200 Problem

Just got a Gainward 4200TI Gold Edition 128 meg card. When I try and install it in the AGP slot it fits in the slot just fine. When I turn on the computer it cycles and does not boot. When I put in the old AGP card everything works fine. I have a 300 watt power supply.Any ideas?ThanksEd

Guest cseidel

I would look into your power supply. 300 watts is borderline for a GeForce 4 card and if it is a generic PS it is probably not enoughChuck

Ed,Did you uninstall the old video card driver before installing the new card? If not may want to try uninstalling the driver with the old card installed and then installing the new card tosee if it boots on the default windows driver.Hope this helpsRegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Hi Ed,I assume you contacted Gainward's tech service for support. What do they say may be the problem? Could it be a problem with the card?I don't think power supply should have any effect at all. I have a 200 watt power supply in my Dell PIII and it runs my Asylum GeForce 4 Ti4200 extremely well. No crashes in FS2002 even with Fs2002 in play for 2 hours or more. I checked with Dell and they said a GeForce 4 Ti4200 should work well in my system even with a 200 watt power supply.Hope this helps,Howard

Guest PaulL01

>Just got a Gainward 4200TI Gold Edition 128 meg card. When I>try and install it in the AGP slot it fits in the slot just>fine. When I turn on the computer it cycles and does not>boot. When I put in the old AGP card everything works fine. I>have a 300 watt power supply.>>Any ideas?>>Thanks>>EdYour Hardware specs and other relevant information is required for proper help, but since we don't have that :)....Is your motherboard at least "new" enough to support AGP ver2.0?.. Does it support the right voltage (1.6v)?Got Zeppelin DVD? ...comming May 26th

Ed,I have the same video card on an Asus P4PE MoBo and fed by a 300 W power supply. I have absolutely no problems with that. Unfortunately I'm not able to give you any advices.Regards,Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

This is probably not one of the cards that requires a seperate "booster" connection for power, is it?Does the computer give a beep error code?If you do not see any startup text on the screen, then you definitely have a card seating, interrupt/bios setting, or card issue. The driver is not a function at this stage of startup. Check your bios setting for pci/agc interrupt and also the agp ram setting in the bios should be TWICE the amount of video ram on the card. But it seems you can't get this far to see the bios screen, so use your old card to check them.