Sign in to follow this  
Guest namron_2010

what do you think

Guest namron_2010

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DSP OEM DVD with SP1 (0.32 lbs) Intel Core i7 940 Processor Acer H233Hbmid 23" LCD Monitor BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC Video Card Aerocool Streamliner Black 140mm Case Fan OCZ Intel Core i7 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory Thermaltake VH6001BWS Armor+ Full-Tower ATX CaseAsus P6T-Deluxe & Ultra X3 1600W Power Supply LG Super Multi Blu-Ray/HD DVD-Rom Drive WD VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive x2ok so tell me what you think please. i want a system that runs fsx smooth with an average of 25-30 fps and runs that way with 3rd party such as wilco and captain sim. any reccomenations would be greatly appreciated. you can reply on here or at namron_20012001@yahoo.com. also if you have a system like this would love to have the specs to compare price vs quality on fsx. thank you for your help.

Guest D17S

Looks good. FS doesn't take full advantage of the performance available from the GTX285, the Raptors or 6Gs of ram, but other software could. Remember, nothing will run FS with max sliders + the PMDG/LvlD addons. The i7s are getting about a 15% clock for clock performance increase over the Penryn/Core2 design. So, with that i7@3.0Ghz, you can expect FS performance about on par with this core2Q system at 3.6Ghz.https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...aspx?ID=7159746

Guest Nick_N

To the OP.. make sure the memory is DDR3 1600 7-7-7 for proper room in clocking the i7 940 and make sure you get a clocking heatsink.. Thermalright 120 Extreme 1366 will do the job just fine

Guest D17S

True story. Ya gotta overclock that i7 to get - Any - performance benefit beyond that core2Q rig at 3.6Ghz. And as stated above, it will Require (more expensive) DDR3 rated at 1600Mhz to allow that i7/940 to get there. It can get Real expensive just to Match a core2Q/DDR2 system at 3.6Ghz with any i7 rig.

Guest Nick_N

True Story. Ya gotta have actually used i7, DDR3, GTX285 and understand the application being used to have a educated, experienced, well established frame of reference to give advice. Otherwise one simply continues to blow hot air

you guys are too funny....anyway I'd get a cooler like this one:http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest D17S

That's the one and a excellent step toward building a cognizant system. But make sure you become - IndependentlY - aware of those airflow patterns . . . so all that hot air can finally evacuate the box ~. - Believe - no one.

That's the one and a excellent step toward building a cognizant system. But make sure you become - IndependentlY - aware of those airflow patterns . . . so all that hot air can finally evacuate the box ~. - Believe - no one.
So your leaving then? Sorry Sam, Ive had a Q6600 @ 3.6 with all the bells and whistles and an i7 940 side by side running fsx simultaneously and the i7 wins hands down. If we were talking about F1 motor racing.. your trying to compare the ferrari against a honda. If you dont know what I mean look it up.

Guest D17S

Of course still, improvements will tend to accrue at a 1:1 ratio on the basis of perceived performance to dollars spent.

Guest UlfB
Sam,I'm happy that I didn't follow your advice when I built myself a new pc. Thanks to Nick and other expert sources on the web, I've now got a well balanced system with excellent performance. Why do you continue to harass Nick?

Guest D17S

OK. Sorry. It seems discussions of purely technical matters really can exacerbate preexisting non-technical sensitivities. However this should not dissuade the technical discussion, only help its redirection back toward technical matters. So once again, FS does NoT take full advantage of the performance available from the GTX285, the Raptors or 6Gs of ram, but other software could. Remember, nothing will run FS with max sliders + the PMDG/LvlD addons. The i7s are getting about a 15% clock for clock performance increase over the Penryn/Core2 design. So, with that i7@3.0Ghz, you can expect FS performance about on par with this core2Q system at 3.6Ghz.https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...D=7159746"

Guest simjunkie
OK. Sorry. It seems discussions of purely technical matters really can exacerbate preexisting non-technical sensitivities. However this should not dissuade the technical discussion, only help its redirection back toward technical matters. So once again, FS does NoT take full advantage of the performance available from the GTX285, the Raptors or 6Gs of ram, but other software could. Remember, nothing will run FS with max sliders + the PMDG/LvlD addons. The i7s are getting about a 15% clock for clock performance increase over the Penryn/Core2 design. So, with that i7@3.0Ghz, you can expect FS performance about on par with this core2Q system at 3.6Ghz.https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...D=7159746"
Technical matters? What do you know about THAT Sam? You have been presented with an opportunity to prove your understanding of these technical matters over and over again and what do you do? Ignore it. Brush it off. You know what Sam? You're full of it. You can advise a good budget build but then shut up about it because you have no business giving advice on how to get the most out of the sim. Leave that advice to the real experts and stop pretending to be one.-jk