Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Scenery Library Editor Utility?

:( Does anyone know if a standalone Scenery Library Editor exists? Something that would allow editing FSX scenery file list without having to load up the FSX?

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Would it still keep the Area and Layer numbers in proper order. I know that in FS9 it was too easy to get things out-of-whack doing editing in notepad. I guess it may be worth a try, I automatically assumed that scenery.cfg file would be just as hard to manipulate in FSX.Thanks for jogging my memory, I have been away from Flight Simming for a few months now, but starting to mess with it again!

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

If all you want to do is move the scenery entries around, you can do a cut\paste to move them with Notepad...and you don't have to worry about changing the Area Layer numbers, etc. Just cut\paste the whole entry from one place to another. Then use the following utility by Steve Greenwood:fsscenery.zipI think I got it from the flightsim.com library. Do a search using the filename or Steve Greenwood. It was made for FS9, but works with FSX fine. It's a stand-alone application that is very easy to use...just follow the readme file instructions. One click on a desktop icon (if you put one on your desktop for it) will rearrange all the entries in your "edited" scenery.cfg file and renumber them correctly, etc. I use it all the time, and it works great. It's also a must have if you use the FSX scenery library to move things around, as that will corrupt the scenery.cfg file also. Put a desktop icon shortcut to the scenery.cfg file next to the shortcut to the fsscenery,exe desktop icon, and you can manage the scenery.cfg file with little hassle.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

additpro (shareware)www.byteforge.comit does much more than editing (incl. numbering) the scenery.cfg, but I use mainly for this purpose.Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks guys, for all of the suggestions.Pete S.

Pete S.

Try this link for FsScenery.http://www.flightxtreme.com/old.htmOld defunct program that wants a registration fee and quits after about 15 minutes without it. No Help and no way to register. Also, need a copy of the FSX9.exe in your FSX folder under documents to make it think it has found FS9. I would say it is now dangerous to your FSX health, but travel at your own risk.

If all you want to do is move the scenery entries around, you can do a cut\paste to move them with Notepad...and you don't have to worry about changing the Area Layer numbers, etc. Just cut\paste the whole entry from one place to another. Then use the following utility by Steve Greenwood:fsscenery.zipI think I got it from the flightsim.com library. Do a search using the filename or Steve Greenwood. It was made for FS9, but works with FSX fine. It's a stand-alone application that is very easy to use...just follow the readme file instructions. One click on a desktop icon (if you put one on your desktop for it) will rearrange all the entries in your "edited" scenery.cfg file and renumber them correctly, etc. I use it all the time, and it works great. It's also a must have if you use the FSX scenery library to move things around, as that will corrupt the scenery.cfg file also. Put a desktop icon shortcut to the scenery.cfg file next to the shortcut to the fsscenery,exe desktop icon, and you can manage the scenery.cfg file with little hassle.FalconAF

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Well, Dick...I have no idea what you are talking about, but here is a link to a forum post for the one that DOES work from Steve Greenwood, so there is no need to bash the guy or his program. Requires NO registration, and doesn't have any of the problems your post above mentions at all. I've been using it with FSX for almost 2 years now, with absolutely NO problems. FREEWARE.http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...59&p=410088By the way, I found it just now by doing what I recommended in my post above...a GOOGLE search using "Steve Greenwood fsscenery.zip". You can find his website the same way, too!Ain't life simple?FalconAF

Rick Ryan

FSSCENERY is great! That was exactly what I was looking for.Pete S.

Pete S.