Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Glass half empty? Not for me...

There has been much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands following news of Microsoft's closing of the ACES studio. Whatever may come in the future from that company is largely not much of a concern for me, especially given some of the development that is underway in FsX at the moment.In terms of simulating aircraft, the brilliant work by A2A Simulations (with their "Accusim" addon) highlights just how far behind the available tech most of the other aircraft developers are. They have produced aircraft that are of a level of complexity that is astounding, of a stunning visual quality, all operating at frame rates that are extremely friendly and usable.In the same vein, where scenery is concerned, the work done by Orbx with their FTX product quite frankly leaves most of the others for dead, a long way behind. Their combination of extremely detailed and annotated landclass textures with equally detailed photoreal imagery offers a flight experience that is hard to beat given equipment available today. Their tech is really well demonstrated in their latest video, have a look here... The contrast between default and what is possible today is really cleverly demonstrated.New Orbx Video.Now I don't have any association with either company, but I admit to being amongst their greatest fans. I urge all those simmers who think that the world is now enveloped in doom and gloom to reconsider. In my opinion the future for simming has never been in better shape.Cheers and happy simming,

Right on, Mate! Couldn't agree more! :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

HOLY CRAP! that is the best FS video I have ever seen! I had to watch it twice so my jaw could be picked up off the ground!

Yes i can only agree with you guys here i have never seen such a good video, The ORBX FTX scenery looks outstanding i do use it myself and i can only say what fantastic work goes on there. So good i think it is its all i have on my drive at the moment well done to all for the vid.cheersIain.

Guest cuizinier

I couldn't agree more. whatever is the future of FS, there is still room for discovery and improvement based on what we have right now for several years to come... the achievement of the addon dev are amazing. It is all the more true if we consider that many (me included) are still using FS9, waiting for cheap upgrade to meet FSX hardware requirement (I guess another couple of years ?). Speaking about FS9, looking back at its evolution from what it was in 2003 and what it is now is also an evidence that FS is not dead because no new FS version is due out soon. FS9 became a dead end in term of base platform in 2006 when FSX came out and still it keep on improving almost 3 years later.It look like FSX is very far from having shown its potential and still it already look amazing as this FTX video demonstrate. maybe I am wrong but it appear that the limiting factor in what can be done with FSX is more hardware and than software (contrary to FS9). And hardware will keep on improving despite the closure of ACES studios. I feel very sorry for the former ACES workers (and everyone who loose their jobs, beeing fired by companies that are making benefits) but as far as flight simming is concerned the future look promising.cheersJulien

Practically the only VFR flying I do is in Australia now, well at least until the new US regions start coming.
That video must have been done on some powerful pc.... My major reason for flying FS9 for an extra year after FSX came out, was the fabulous scenery produced by Vouchez - Flight Scenery.com - Portland and Rhode Island, plus the numerous highly-detailed, real airports of Martin and George of Fly Tampa. These are sorely missed by myself - and others, I'm sure. Maybe it's time to leave Seattle.... :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's funny how people talk as if Flight Simulator just "died".In a way it did, but at the same time we should remember that we wouldn't have had a new version of FS anyway for another 2 years, give or take.FSX will likely be around for a very long time, just as FS9 was around for a very long time (and is still quite popular).

That is some of the best editing abilities I have ever seen in my life. VERY VERY well done Orbx. Something like that deserves a big round of applause. The environment looks worlds ahead of the default flight sim (the default 172 is nice though ;)).Kudos, and FSX has to many capabilities to die! you should know this!

The environment looks worlds ahead of the default flight sim
The environment IS worlds ahead of the default flight sim. Add the wonderful freeware addons such as the Aussi FTX AI traffic, the just released OZx ai shipping traffic, hundreds of airfields or repaints by OZx, Anthony and the guys from FTX and you end up being in flightsim nirvana. To those who have not yet seen the video Maxter mentioned above, do yourself a favour : watch it cos what you see in that video is what you get... (except those fancy windows :()

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Paul J,You said:"That video must have been done on some powerful pc.... "I didn't think I could run FTX on my machine so I never bought it, until they put out a free demo. Believe it or not, I get smoother and more useable performance with FTX than default FSX. I only fly in FTX areas, it is fantastic (period). Hope this helps.

It's funny how people talk as if Flight Simulator just "died".
I agree Bryan. We may lose those who's main focus is more of the gaming crowd who always seem to be looking for the best effects and hardware- but those of us who's interest are more aviation related stand to gain a lot I hope- just by giving developers more time in FSX to stabilize development.Bruce.

Look at it this way, FSX has some limitations in its engine, but now that FS11 may be delayed or never show up. it will give developers time to overcome these limitations. There are already a few products that have found ways around some and i hope this gets passed on. All i can say is FSX has made simming so much more fun, i have more payware for this then i had for FS9 and certainly done a lot more hrs.

Guest Biggles01
There has been much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands following news of Microsoft's closing of the ACES studio. Whatever may come in the future from that company is largely not much of a concern for me, especially given some of the development that is underway in FsX at the moment.In terms of simulating aircraft, the brilliant work by A2A Simulations (with their "Accusim" addon) highlights just how far behind the available tech most of the other aircraft developers are. They have produced aircraft that are of a level of complexity that is astounding, of a stunning visual quality, all operating at frame rates that are extremely friendly and usable.In the same vein, where scenery is concerned, the work done by Orbx with their FTX product quite frankly leaves most of the others for dead, a long way behind. Their combination of extremely detailed and annotated landclass textures with equally detailed photoreal imagery offers a flight experience that is hard to beat given equipment available today. Their tech is really well demonstrated in their latest video, have a look here... The contrast between default and what is possible today is really cleverly demonstrated.New Orbx Video.Now I don't have any association with either company, but I admit to being amongst their greatest fans. I urge all those simmers who think that the world is now enveloped in doom and gloom to reconsider. In my opinion the future for simming has never been in better shape.Cheers and happy simming,