Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

Look what MS is doing now!

I find this quite disturbing. MS closes ACES because of a struggling economy but yet think this will work -- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/micr...icrosoft12.html . Yes it will create more jobs at the demise of others, will it work?? Doubt it.Roman
Why is it disturbing? ACES was closed to align Microsoft’s resources with its strategic priorities. "As far as products, expect the stores to carry Microsoft software and hardware -- including the company's Xbox 360 game consoles. Microsoft is still determining whether the stores will sell PCs and other products from the company's partners."Seems consistent with a strategy change to me. Anyway, would you prefer Microsoft didn't create new jobs?

Guest Lizardo

And this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29179458/ Dell tried it's own stores and failed. I think MAC did too. Haha, the reason no one likes VISTA or (much) FSX (Or Nash or Studebaker) isn't because there aren't any stores.

Why is it disturbing? ACES was closed to align Microsoft’s resources with its strategic priorities. "As far as products, expect the stores to carry Microsoft software and hardware -- including the company's Xbox 360 game consoles. Microsoft is still determining whether the stores will sell PCs and other products from the company's partners."Seems consistent with a strategy change to me. Anyway, would you prefer Microsoft didn't create new jobs?
I agree, we may regret the loss of ACES but at least it seems Microsoft is shifting some of its resources into new opportunities. I'm all for it. They may have a business model for retail outlets which works, better at least to try.Regards,John

Guest Lizardo

I meant Apple. At least they did here in Cincinnati after 6 months.

I think the reason Gateway and Dell failed at retail, is because they tended to be located in no name strip malls, where Apple chose to locate their stores at the major shopping malls, where there is much more traffic. If Microsoft does the same, I think they may be a little more successful then Gateway and Dell were.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Where I am in New Jersey, the Gateway store was indeed in a strip mall, but a heavily trafficked one next to a major mall. The Apple store (Sagemore) is in a higher-end strip mall. Some of the best restaurants around here are in strip malls. Also, there's on in the Cherry Hill Mall which is pretty big.You may be partly right, though, in that in many places the strip malls are not quite as "upscale" as larger malls where the stores might be located.Around here, you'll find almost everything in strip malls.I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of strip malls in NJ ;)

Hi, my name is Microsoft, I haven't had an original idea in at least 15 years, but I do have a lotta money from making some wise investments when I was younger. Now, realizing that I lack any true creativity or courage to try something truly new and unique, I'll just copy what the guy down the street is doing. Hey look, my neighbor just made a portable MP3 player, I'll copy that too. Oh, he has an online music store, now I do. He has some stores, so will I...Lame... Microsoft: Bull in a China Shop

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.