Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Default Mooney loses power at altitude

Yes it does - the risk of icing while flying through clouds or precipitation is significantly higher both RW and in FS, and unless the aircraft is specifically certificated for flight into known icing, RW pilots will try to avoid it. I don't think FS models airframe or prop icing; at least I've never seen it. It could simply be that FS is generating ice severe enough that your deicing system can't cope until you've descended into warmer air.I don't know what weather addons you might have, or are using, but it might be possible to fly around the worst of it...And that sounds like a nice tour you're doing too. :(

Tim,Thanks, well I will watch out for the clouds from now on then (I use ActiveSky (ActiveX)Tho' as I say flying more to the south now means I should encounter warmer air.Yes I have long wanted the challenge of a RTW flight, to make me explore new places.I am not sure this route is a particularly adventurous one, any more than I could acheive by sticking pins in the map!But for me it is a route determined by someone else and so I will follow it as specified come rain or shine!Using real weather and real time, so for at least some of it I will be flying in the middle of the night here, to be in daylight there so to speak. Also, possibly, with no sight of the ground.Nigel

Yes it does - the risk of icing while flying through clouds or precipitation is significantly higher both RW and in FS, and unless the aircraft is specifically certificated for flight into known icing, RW pilots will try to avoid it. I don't think FS models airframe or prop icing; at least I've never seen it. It could simply be that FS is generating ice severe enough that your deicing system can't cope until you've descended into warmer air.I don't know what weather addons you might have, or are using, but it might be possible to fly around the worst of it...And that sounds like a nice tour you're doing too. :(

...Both anti-ice switches are set on before T/O...
Hi Nigel,In the default Mooney the Prop De-ice switch nor the Alternate Air control handle (in the VC) have any effect. The Pitot Heat switch does work to get the airspeed indicator working again. The only way to get the engine power back in icing conditions is to get the "Alt Air" blue lighted text to come on in the annunciator panel. The only way to get the "Alt Air" to light up is with the "H" key. (Or whatever key or joystick button is assigned to the "Carb heat/eng-anti-ice (on/off)" Event in Settings-Controls ; Buttons/Keys) If the "H" key doesn't cause the "Alt Air" to light up then you're not bypassing the ice cogged air filter ( in reality, probably just activates the carb heat code in FS, even though the Mooney has no carb).V/rRon

My apologies to all for being slow to follow-up on this.I have found that the H key does work with the default Mooney, however it only works within a few seconds of starting the session. At some point after a minute or two, using H does not get any Alt Air lighting on the annunciator panel and presumably no Alt Air is provided. I haven't yet determined what happens or what I do that prevents it operating.I could turn it on immediately I start, but as I am currently flying in the equatorial regions with temps in the upper 20's, it maybe a bad plan!But as I get more south that maybe practical.Nigel