Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Just in case you've been pondering a new video card..

Warning: This is not meant for high end computer owners, but for "mainstream" users like me :( Also, this is not meant to be a "hardware post", but more of a motivational story..I've been happily flying with a fairly powerful 8600GTS video card, and FSX has performed quite well for me,but I kept wondering if a newer card would be of real help... Well, video card prices have dropping and afterreading a bunch of reviews, I ordered an Asus 9600GT Silent 512M card.It has twice the on-board memory, twice the memory bandwidth, and twice the horsepower of my old cardand is quite happy with a 400W power supply which is what I have.It is basically a repackaged 8800GT, with newer technology and way lower price... as in $125 or so with acurrent $20 mail-in rebate from Asus. The 8800GT has always been considered "the card" to get for FSXin terms of price/performance, and at this price, I figured I really could not lose.Well, two thumbs up.I've fallen in love with FSX all over again. Better performance, smoother flight, and the card runscooler than the old card. So, if you, like me are still flying with a 256M card or such, time to take the plunge!I know, there are way more powerful (and more expensive) cards out there, but for me at leastthis totally did the trick.Now, back to flying! :( Q6600@3.0 2GB RAM Win XP Pro 1680x1050 on a 22" monitor

Bert

Guest terrabit2001
Warning: This is not meant for high end computer owners, but for "mainstream" users like me :(
Not related to your card, but I thought I would throw some of my impressions out about some recent vidcard "upgrades" I did. I ended up getting a 9800Gtx+ ... and it performed worse than my old 8800GTS. I ended up taking that card back and picking up an 8800Ultra for about 200bucks (probably cheaper now).This card is great.Some of you guys may know this site, but just in case you don't here are some benchmarks of different cards.If you scroll down they have FSX tested at different resolutions.http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gamin...chmarks,30.html

Not to talk hardware here either but Im really starting to lose my faith in Nvidia. Their latest set of drivers were hidious on my system. Im still using a 7600GS 512MB.Runs alot better with the 173 series drivers.Sorry Tom :(

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Not to talk hardware here either but Im really starting to lose my faith in Nvidia. Their latest set of drivers were hidious on my system. Im still using a 7600GS 512MB.Runs alot better with the 173 series drivers.Sorry Tom :(
Well. I'm running the 175.16 drivers and they are rock solid... time to move over to the hardware forum :(

Bert

Well. I'm running the 175.16 drivers and they are rock solid... time to move over to the hardware forum :(
heh, you have doomed your own thread to the hardware forum abyss. :)Daveo regarding your older driver working better with your older card...I found this to be true as well for some of the older cards I have used with FSX...such as a 7800GT. It really likes the 169.25 driver. It does not like the newer ones. I have no explanation for this behavior.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB