Sign in to follow this  
newtie

32bit to 16 bit conversion

Hi all-Is there a relatively easy way to convert 32bit textures to 16? I've go the slow loading issue on a few of my more complex aircraft and would like to see if reducing those 1mb dds files by half might do the trick. I've tried using both Irfanview and DXTbmp but haven't had any luck. The textures wind up turning black for some reason.Thanks,Mark

Is there a relatively easy way to convert 32bit textures to 16?
I havn't run into 32 bit textures, but have used Paint Shop Pro to convert 24 bit to 16 bit on bitmap textures. DXTbmp could convert the dds file to 24 bit bmp.

Art

I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop last night and I'll give it a try sometime this weekend. It supposedly handles the .dds file format from what I've been reading.

I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop last night and I'll give it a try sometime this weekend. It supposedly handles the .dds file format from what I've been reading.
You may need the nVidia DDS Plugin, depending on the version of PS.Grab it here.

Thanks, Carl. How do you like your Phenom? Our rigs are virtually identical except I have a 6000+3.21 DC and a 9800GTX running Vista. I was looking to upgrade to that processor but I have absolutely no complaints about how my system runs.

How do you like your Phenom? Our rigs are virtually identical except I have a 6000+3.21 DC and a 9800GTX running Vista. I was looking to upgrade to that processor but I have absolutely no complaints about how my system runs.
I think its a great chip - overclocks easily (I have the Black Edition) and runs FSX great for me including some heavyweight add-ons (CS 757, Flight1 ATR), just got to keep the sucker cool or it soon lets you know its unhappy. I used to have the 6000+ and ran it stock at 3.0, wish I'd experimented overclocking that. My memory is holding the system back though, I need to get some 1066. I ran Vista64 for a while but went back to XP64, Vista did seem slightly smoother for FSX and the OC Phenom, but would blue screen once in a while. XP hums along nicely.If you do get a Phenom, go for the new Phenom II chip, it uses a smaller die and so should overclock better with more headroom, and cooler temps.