Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

Beta 355 - SF260 Losing Power - Mixture and All is OK

Guest rdg
I pretty certain it wasn't the temperature that caused the power loss in the aircraft I reported above, as the loss of power was very gradual, it took over 30 minutes in the cruise at only 15000 feet. The Eaglesoft SR22 shows the outside air temp on its Avidyne MFD and this never changed much at all in the cruise. The temperature suddenly rising was the second item on my check list when trying to figure out what the cause of power loss was, the first item being carb icing which is still present in prop aircraft in FSX because it cant model fuel injected conventional prop aircraft. i.e. you still have to turn carb heat on with the keyboard shortcut otherwise the engine fails in seconds when there is ice around.
The loss in the sf260 was immediate not gradual. Not sure what that means. RegardsBob

If you mean immediate as in less than a second then yes that sounds like a spurious instant temperature change, but if its taking a few seconds then its carb icing which can be overcome by pressing the carb heat key, which I think is "H" by default. If the power comes back the instant you turn on carb heat with H then it was definately the carb icing bug. As I said previously FSX cant simulate fuel injected conventional prop's and the way developers work around this makes the power drop fairly rapidly, but it does come back instantly with heat switched on, where as a carbed aircraft the power would come back more slowly usually, although it does depend on how iced up the carb was when you turned on the heat.

Cheers, Andy.

Has anyone found a fix for the temperature swings? I can't complete a flight in the Mustang because invariably the temperature goes crazy at some random point of the flight, and the plane falls out of the sky :(-stefan

Hi,That is a known problem with that plane. Pretty sure there is no fix.Thanks,

Has anyone found a fix for the temperature swings? I can't complete a flight in the Mustang because invariably the temperature goes crazy at some random point of the flight, and the plane falls out of the sky :(-stefan
as i mentioned before, once i disabled "direct wind control" the problem doesn't happen to me anymore. (it also prevents the same problem occuring with the md-11). although i'm willing to entertain the idea that it is a bug with those planes, it seems too much of a coincidence to me, for instance, if i use built-in weather the mustang never shows wild temperature swings.... maybe it will happen again and i just have been lucky since i disabled it... your mileage may vary, worth a try anyway :)cheers,-andy crosby

I did an earlier post on this as well and was told 'turn carb heat on' even though it was. Did it on all prop planes, fuel flow to idle status, dropped from my cruise (9000ft) to about 1500 ft before it all picked up again, climb and same occurence.Never did find out what it was, but if I use historical I can reproduce it all the time. (Temps were positive as well)John E

I fail to see how the plane could fabricate weather. Anyway, turning DWC off apparently fixes all wind issues - by completely removing any winds aloft. I've had it with this.-stefan

as i mentioned before, once i disabled "direct wind control" the problem doesn't happen to me anymore. (it also prevents the same problem occuring with the md-11). although i'm willing to entertain the idea that it is a bug with those planes, it seems too much of a coincidence to me, for instance, if i use built-in weather the mustang never shows wild temperature swings.... maybe it will happen again and i just have been lucky since i disabled it... your mileage may vary, worth a try anyway :)cheers,-andy crosby

I fail to see how the plane could fabricate weather. Anyway, turning DWC off apparently fixes all wind issues - by completely removing any winds aloft. I've had it with this.
well, i don't know enough about add-on development to do anything but speculate i think it's certainly possible there could be specific issues with a specific aircraft and ASA, for example if the weather stuff is looking for byte offsets and messing with the internals of fsx, and a plane is also doing stuff like that, (reading the value from the byte offset instead of through the normal interface).. maybe there could be a conflict if they do it out of order. it certainly seems like when the crazy temperature values show up that it looks like an overflow (goes always to nearly the same fixed value..) . but i don't know if that is what DWC does or not, i would agree that it's an improbable situation. for me the only concrete evidence is i no longer experience the problem since turning DWC off. another poster on a thread here mentioned they could reproduce the problem using historical weather but i've been too busy to bother making my own test case just to prove it, there are many posts about the problem, i figure one of the ASA guys will come across the issue eventually..turning off DWC does not remove winds aloft.. there are two options there..but i did go back to FSUIPC for smoothing like i used with ASX which seems to work correctly in concert with non-dwc winds.. cheers,-andy crosby