Sign in to follow this  
Guest swanrunner

Rain above clouds and temp bumps

Guest swanrunner

I am using ASA with the beta update in FSX. The update took care of smoothing the winds. The only thing I notice is that sometimes when you are climbing thru clouds and rain is that the rain will continue even after you climb above the overcast. Another thing is that sometimes you get temp and pressure bumps where you hit a void of standard day pressure and temp at high altitudes. This results in EGT temps exceeding there limits in jet engines. Only lasts a few minutes and then temp and pressure goes back to normal. Other than that it works great. John

Hi John,We are investigating the "ISA/Void" weather events.As to rain above the clouds, this can happen due to FSX's cloud depiction logic. Essentially, although a cloud layer may be defined as a certain thickness, the actual depicted thickness throughout a "cell area" (16x16km) obviously varies. But the rain is depicted through the entire max defined thickness. Result is you get rain regardless if you are in the cloud or not, because you are still in the defined cloud area.We are looking at ways of improving things a bit but it is one of those problems that has been around for a while and we don't have much flexibility to control this.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest swanrunner
Hi John,We are investigating the "ISA/Void" weather events.As to rain above the clouds, this can happen due to FSX's cloud depiction logic. Essentially, although a cloud layer may be defined as a certain thickness, the actual depicted thickness throughout a "cell area" (16x16km) obviously varies. But the rain is depicted through the entire max defined thickness. Result is you get rain regardless if you are in the cloud or not, because you are still in the defined cloud area.We are looking at ways of improving things a bit but it is one of those problems that has been around for a while and we don't have much flexibility to control this.Best,
Thanks Damian, It is still a big improvement over FSX default Wx. John

Guest swanrunner

Just a follow up on this question Damian answered for me a couple of months ago. I understand it is one of the many quirks that FSX has and if I understand it correctly precipitation will display even when I'm above a cloud deck if it is falling below. Because I fly around Alaska most of the time there are usually always lots of clouds,snow, and rain so I see this precip above the clouds almost every flight. This screen shot today at 18000ft and only scattered to broken below me and clear above there is still the precip displayed. I am real happy with the cloud suppression feature, now if you guys could only come up with a clear sky precip suppression that would be nice.

Guest swanrunner
Hi John,Is this with B394?Thanks,
Jim, Yes, This is B394. It has occurred on all versions.

Hi,Ok thanks. I will see what the team can do, but as Damian posted, there may not be much we can do.Thanks,

Guest swanrunner

Jim, Just wanted to up date you on the temp/pressure issue. I know it is one that is being looked at. For the most part it is always random, sometimes airborne and sometimes on the ground after landing. However I noticed when I do an ILS 11 approach to Yakutat (PAYA) in low ceiling and visibility it is consistent every time. As I roll out toward the end of the runway the precip stops and temp and pressure goes to standard but the overcast remains. The atis will still report the correct data but the temp and pressure will remain at standard until after takeoff usually within 2 minutes or so and then everything is back to normal. If I remain on the ground I can save the flight, shut down FSX and ASA and the next flight temp/pressure is normal again. Thanks for everyones hard work on these issues. I realize FSX is a programing nightmare.