Sign in to follow this  
marcon8122

747X new pilot help

Hi i have just bought 747X no problem with this fantastic aircraft only few questionUsing real meteo with active sky or the service in fsx it seems that external temperature at 37000 feet is a bit high -25 SAT . The others aircraft at the same altitude displays -59 C (What is this value ? external air temperature ?)By default is in fahrenheit or in celsius ? How can i change it in celsius mode if is in fahrenheit ?Another question : what is the correct use of anti ice in this aircraft ? When i have to use it and when i have to shut down ? I've not found any guide for this function but only in check list the voice "as required".Third question does exist any rapid tool for calculating the correct fuel quantity like wilco airbus where insert flight distance altitude wheight and you have immediatly a fuel prevision ?Thanks a lot for responses

Hi i have just bought 747X no problem with this fantastic aircraft only few questionUsing real meteo with active sky or the service in fsx it seems that external temperature at 37000 feet is a bit high -25 SAT . The others aircraft at the same altitude displays -59 C (What is this value ? external air temperature ?)By default is in fahrenheit or in celsius ? How can i change it in celsius mode if is in fahrenheit ?Another question : what is the correct use of anti ice in this aircraft ? When i have to use it and when i have to shut down ? I've not found any guide for this function but only in check list the voice "as required".Third question does exist any rapid tool for calculating the correct fuel quantity like wilco airbus where insert flight distance altitude wheight and you have immediatly a fuel prevision ?Thanks a lot for responses
Hi Marco.If your looking at the temp on the upper EICAS that is TAT (the temp of the aircraft skin as it travels through the air) to get the SAT have a look at the progress pages.Regarding anti ice, wing anti ice is only in the air with slats 'not extended' and TAT 10c or lower with visible moisture. Engine anti Ice after engine start again 10c or lower with visible moisture.You will notice a slight increase in N1 and EPR due to the anti ice system needing bleed air to work.It's a great product, enjoy :)Rob

Rob Prest

Thanks for fast response but by default installation temperature are displayed in c or f ? and how to change ?About visible moisture are simulated ?Regards

Thanks for fast response but by default installation temperature are displayed in c or f ? and how to change ?About visible moisture are simulated ?Regards
Default is C There is a way to change it in the FMC. My brain is scambled from studying the MD11, all I remember is you have to enter the tempreture somewhere in the FMC followed by F.Icing is simulated in FS9 (Badly) still it's good practice to follow the SOP for realism, but you wont fall out of the sky if you forget to turn it on.Rob

Rob Prest

Just wanna add, visible moisture means Rain, mist, fog, so yes it's simulated. Also it may not be raining but the temp could be -2c and your departing into a low overcast so it's good practice to turn on Anti Ice.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest hangar744

Hi Rob,it is leading edge flaps...744 has no slats.sincerely and respectfully,delcom

Guest j-mo
Third question does exist any rapid tool for calculating the correct fuel quantity like wilco airbus where insert flight distance altitude wheight and you have immediatly a fuel prevision ?
I use this one : http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=73345If you use a weather program, be careful with transoceanic flights if you don't have enough weather stations reporting winds aloft info.

Hi Rob,it is leading edge flaps...744 has no slats.sincerely and respectfully,delcom
Cherrs mate, the MD11 is scrambling my brain! :( Rob

Rob Prest

Visible moisture is also viz below 1 statute mile or 1600 meters. In addition real world ops call for a static run up of the engines to 60%N1 for 30 seconds every 30 minutes while on the ground,when the temp is 3C or belowCheersJon B

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Thanks for the help it is nice not to feel alone and here you are all really friendly. For the weather I bought ASX and I am satisfied, so if I have not misunderstood anti ice is used almost as soon as i reach temperatures below 10 degrees celsius, in the case of take-off in the summer with an external temperature of 25