Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Angel

Saved Setting Files: What can they include?

One of the nice features of FSX is the ability to save and load graphic settings files. I want to be able to switch between flying in Australia with FTX and in the US with Tileproxy. There are some basic adjustments that I make between these two modes (i.e. I lock the FPS at 20 in Tileproxy, and unlimited for FTX). However, there's also some of the obscure stuff such as the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION line which is used to help speed the loading of the tiles in Tileproxy.My question then ... is every setting which can be used in the standard FSX config file also available in the custom settings files? What about things like the [Main] section (which is where FIBER_TIME_FRACTION lives) or the AffinityMask tweak? Are there some things that are only recognized when FSX initially loads from the main fsx.cfg file?

One of the nice features of FSX is the ability to save and load graphic settings files. I want to be able to switch between flying in Australia with FTX and in the US with Tileproxy. There are some basic adjustments that I make between these two modes (i.e. I lock the FPS at 20 in Tileproxy, and unlimited for FTX). However, there's also some of the obscure stuff such as the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION line which is used to help speed the loading of the tiles in Tileproxy.My question then ... is every setting which can be used in the standard FSX config file also available in the custom settings files? What about things like the [Main] section (which is where FIBER_TIME_FRACTION lives) or the AffinityMask tweak? Are there some things that are only recognized when FSX initially loads from the main fsx.cfg file?
Have a look at one of the saved settings that you have created, using Notepad.On my system, at least, only a subset is saved..Example:[GRAPHICS]TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=1GROUND_SHADOWS=0[sCENERY]LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4[DISPLAY]BLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=24[PANELS]QUICKTIPS=1PANEL_OPACITY=100[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=80MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=4[WEATHER]CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=6THERMAL_VISUALS=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0[TrafficManager]AirlineDensity=24GADensity=25FreewayDensity=11ShipsAndFerriesDensity=30LeisureBoatsDensity=31IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1

Bert

On my system, at least, only a subset is saved..
Yeah, that is something I noticed, which made me wonder if you can edit those saved files to include tweaks such as FIBER_TIME_FRACTION, and if FSX would then read those as part of reloading the scenery.Otherwise I'll need to swap out FSX config files and reload everytime. Not a huge deal, but I'd much rather be able to switch between areas on the, erm, fly. I suppose I can always play around with the settings and see if they seem to be ignored, but was hoping there's some common knowledge out there I could leverage.

Yeah, that is something I noticed, which made me wonder if you can edit those saved files to include tweaks such as FIBER_TIME_FRACTION, and if FSX would then read those as part of reloading the scenery.Otherwise I'll need to swap out FSX config files and reload everytime. Not a huge deal, but I'd much rather be able to switch between areas on the, erm, fly. I suppose I can always play around with the settings and see if they seem to be ignored, but was hoping there's some common knowledge out there I could leverage.

I see you also had some problems with the forum yesterday... :( :( :(

The settings in the smaller settings file you mentioned pretty much only covers the items available on the Options | Settings | Display dialog. Most of the items in the FSX.CFG file only take effect on startup. You can have multiple .CFG files and specify a specific one to use when you launch FSX though (fsx.exe -cfg:"c:\Path\And\Filename.cfg").Tim

When I desire unique fsx.CFG settings I simply make a copy of fsx.exe, rename it to, say, fsx_OZ.exeand then run it. It will create a "fsx_OZ.cfg" file. Or you could make a copy of your existing cfg fileand name it the same.."fsx_OZ.cfg".Create a shorcut to the 'custom' fsx exe file and you now have your custom cfg file loaded atthe click of a mouse.I have 4 or 5 fsx_xxxxx.exe files on my setup for flying in farious places or with a customizedaircraft selection list. ( several folders containing different aircraft types pointed to in the MAIN section ) Paul

Wide-5.jpg