Sign in to follow this  
usmc3073

Struggling on Descent and approach...

I would like to begin my post by saying I have read and re read the manuals and have done the tutorial flight. On my last two flights I have come in way to high and fast I have had to go around to safely land. My understanding is that the descent down to runway is all pretty much controlled by the FMS. It feels like the plane is diving to get down quick enough and this intern increases speed way beyond what I should be on final.I can micromanage the descent and approach for a nice smooth landing like a boeing but as I understand it this should'nt be necessary with the MD because the FMS is "smarter" not sure what I could be doing wrong?Any advice given is appreciated...I am going to run the tutorial flight again to see if I missed something obvious...Guthrie Zuehlke

The FMS will manage speed to meet altitude and speed constraints, but it doesn't start slowing for approaches until you start deploying slats and flaps. Usually by flaps 15. I can't guess how you are managing these devices, not enough info.

Dan Downs KCRP

The FMS will manage speed to meet altitude and speed constraints, but it doesn't start slowing for approaches until you start deploying slats and flaps. Usually by flaps 15. I can't guess how you are managing these devices, not enough info.
Thank you for responding...after re running the tutorial I realized I was doing something so obviously stupid that it eluded me...when I got instructions to descend I would punch the alt in the Flight Control Panel and then I would right click the knob to descend. The reason I was not slowing properly etc...was because I was not re-engaging profile mode by hitting "prof" so of course now the automatic flight system isn't managing the descent profile and I drop alt without loosing any speed and end up at whatever alt I am trying to attain going about 250+knots so long story short keep it in profile mode!Straight%20Face.gifGuthrie Zuehlke