Sign in to follow this  
Magic Man

Run under Windows 7 without reinstall

Like to be able to try out FSX under Windows 7 but really don't want to have to go through the whole install process just so that I can create a few registry entries and file directories since I already have it installed on another drive for use with XP under a dual boot setup.Has anyone just created the neccessary user directories and copied the registry entries required over from their first OS so that it will run without requiring another install over the top...?

This is just a suggestion, providing you have such software, equipment. I was using Vista 64 Ultimate and I have FSX installed on its own drive. I backup (make image) of my drives whenever I make significant changes using a program called "Acronis". I, too, wanted to try and see if W7 was good for FSX without having to reinstall all my addons for FSX again, so I made backup images of drives c & d, and installed Windows 7 right on top of Vista. If it turned out that W7 was not desired, I could always go back.WilbertAbit AW9D-Max/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSUIntel QX6700 Quadcore - OC'd 3.2gVista Ultimate 64/CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB)2x150GB SATA WD Raptor - Non Raid/2x320GB SATA WD SE16 - Non Raid2x IDE Light-On DVDRW 165H65/BFG GTX 260-896MBNvidia ForceWare 179.23 drivers3x SILENX 120X25MM FANS + 2x 10in XCLIO Wind Tunnel Case FansDanger Den Water Cooling/Enermax temp/fan controllerFSX ACC@ 1280x1024 - GEX/UTX/ASX/ASA/REX/FEX/MTX/

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify.I have FSX installed on it's own drive (D:) which was installed from within XP so it has created the registry settings and user profiles etc. on the XP system drive.I've now installed and dual boot to a Windows 7 (on a third drive) and would like to run FSX from within it (FS9 runs fine simply by launching the .exe)FSX wont allow that because of registry calls etc.I'm hoping I can just create the Windows 7 user profile directories FSX would do if installed and copy my existing rewards, logbook etc. files there as appropriate and also export the required registry settings from XP and load them into the registry in Windows 7 so that I can run FSX without having to get them there via a complete install of FSX and Acceleration etc.Just need a pointer as to the directory structure required under Windows 7 (would be the same as Vista I assume but different from XP because of the change to user profiles) and also if anyone knows the set of registry keys already so I don't have to go hunting through for them.Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify.I have FSX installed on it's own drive (D:) which was installed from within XP so it has created the registry settings and user profiles etc. on the XP system drive.I've now installed and dual boot to a Windows 7 (on a third drive) and would like to run FSX from within it (FS9 runs fine simply by launching the .exe)FSX wont allow that because of registry calls etc.I'm hoping I can just create the Windows 7 user profile directories FSX would do if installed and copy my existing rewards, logbook etc. files there as appropriate and also export the required registry settings from XP and load them into the registry in Windows 7 so that I can run FSX without having to get them there via a complete install of FSX and Acceleration etc.Just need a pointer as to the directory structure required under Windows 7 (would be the same as Vista I assume but different from XP because of the change to user profiles) and also if anyone knows the set of registry keys already so I don't have to go hunting through for them.Thanks!
I didn't know this was possible. If you succeed, could you post instructions here? It would be a very useful time-saver.Tim

Haven't tried this myself but in theory I would have thought you could do the following, (not at FSX PC to check path)1 - run regedit.exe and navigate to possibly HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT and/or HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT2 - have a look for the FSX entries and export them to a file by right clicking on the FSX directory then export3 - on a different windows install import those FSX entries and then navigate to the above and set the path ie C:\, D:\, E:\ etc to the correct location of FSX carefully checking each registry entry within the FSX folder in the registryHopefully FSX would then boot up.You would have to do the same for the 3rd party aircraft and scenery addons. In my opinion if FSX runs OK then you would be better reinstalling your aircraft and scenery addons from scratch - especially Flight1 software due to the license checking and validation.Hope you get it working and please let us know as I may install beta version of Windows 7 myself ( I have 4 drives)Graham

Yep, that's the way I was figuring, issue is I'm coming from an existing XP install so don't know what the corresponding user profile directories are under Vista/Windows 7 in order to create them since those directory structures are different under those OS's.May just stick the DVD in there and reinstall, bit of a pain though. Wish they'd move away from an OS based registry towards settings files in the program directory itself. Would make such circumstances far easier in the future...

Im running Windows 7 Beta now. I upgraded it over my Vista 64 installation. I did not have to re-install FSX again afterwards. Everything worked fine in FSX including the tons of addons I have. Same thing for all the other games I have. No issues at all. FSX runs about the same as before, but I no longer have slight pauses when flying into new scenery areas, which I had before. Also things seem to load a little faster. The bigist improvement, is in the time it takes to boot up! Im loving Windows 7 right now. I sure hope they release it before it expires in aug or give an extension to the beta. Id hate to have to go back to Vista. Im spolied now.Rob

What directory structures do you have for your user profile stuff, i.e. where the .cfg, logbook and rewards files are?I'm dual booting with XP so want to just create the same environment rather than having to install over the original install just to create the directories and registry settings in Windows 7