Sign in to follow this  
Guest obsoletepower

FS2004 747-400 Pitch Problem!

Guest obsoletepower

Hello folks, I've recently switched back to FS2004 and I've installed my 747 Queen Of The Skies. I am having a pretty annoying problem. Once airborne, the airplane will continue to pitch upwards until it stalls and despite my pushing down on the yoke it continues uninhibited. I manage to get it to pitch down but it is VERY slow and usually happens around 170 knots which is close to stall speed. I've checked my EICAS stats display for surface controls and they have full range of motion. So there shouldn't be a problem. As for the autopilot, I don't even have it engaged and yet this still happens. What do you suppose could be the problem? The EICAS system tells me that there is nothing wrong with my elevators yet the plane behaves as though there is a problem. It is driving me insane! By the way, I have the CH Products USB yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals. I have them perfectly calibrated and in direct mode. Please help me with any suggestions.Thank you in advance!

You didn't mention trim, so lets talk about weight and balance. Be sure you have preflight the FMS and set the recommend trim for takeoff.Also, you didn't mention method of flight control; that is, are you hand flying our using VNAV/LNAV?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest obsoletepower

Actually I did forget to mention that if I do try and trim the elevators, it won't allow me, it keeps moving the peg back to where it was. But anyways, the trim peg is in the green band. FMS is properly setup for takeoff going by the checklist. Now in regards to flight control, I should mention that even when hand-flying this happens. I haven't had a chance to fly in VNAV or LNAV because I can't engage the autopilot command as it disconnects immediately like I were trying to override the flight controls but I assure you that according to EICAS, the flight controls are at the neutral mark. I also checked the balance. I load the configuration pane before flight and I set it to 2/3 full with 54,000 lb of fuel.

The trim value provide on the performace screen during preflight needs to be used for trim... not sure about the green zone, but a 0.5 difference in trim value is significant at some moments.If something is moving the trim after you set it then I think you found your problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest obsoletepower
The trim value provide on the performace screen during preflight needs to be used for trim... not sure about the green zone, but a 0.5 difference in trim value is significant at some moments.If something is moving the trim after you set it then I think you found your problem.
Well it isn't actually moving the trim, I made a mistake saying that something was keeping the trim but I failed to mention that this happened after takeoff. I can adjust trim very well on the ground. I should mention that I've purchased the MD-11 add-on for FS2004 just last week and that runs perfectly. I don't have 747-400X for FSX so I cannot compare them.

The 747 rotation and pitch on initial climb is much much different from the MD-11. The nose up pitch after rotation sure sounds like to much nose up trim... maybe a screen shot of your panel when you are about 400 agl before engaging AP would be helpful. Also provide GTOW and your takeoff trim setting.

Dan Downs KCRP