Sign in to follow this  
Guest 56RAF_Seeker

Problems with the default Airbus mission

Guest 56RAF_Seeker

Hi all, I'm having problems with the default Airbus mission, flying from Rome to Naples.The problems I'm experiencing are over powered engines, ineffective trim and auto pilot.I'm very aware that these are "my" problems, I'm "gud at flite sims"; but inexperienced with FSX and commercial flying. I'd be grateful to learn where I'm going wrong.1) The Airbus seems over powered. I've hardly got the wheels up and the flaps in before I over speed while going uphill still in the climb. This thing seems to take off and climb like a Bae Lightining! Does one realy climb an Airbus on 1/4 throttle? Additionaly, while cruising at 320 indicated I'm almost on a closed throttle, and the engines seems hard to manage accurately (One monitors the "N1" guages, right?) with a lot of lag between throtle movment and engine response.2) The aircraft seems much slower in response to trim changes than I'd expect - coupled with the lag in engine response I'm finding it very hard to set level flight at a given speed (say 320 indicated).3) On approach to Naples, I have to use the speed brakes even with fully closed throttle to be able to descend from 7 thousand to three thousand while slowing from 220 to 189 indicated. Is this expected?4) On short final (on an admittedly very ragged aproach) The engines suddenly spool up and I'm forced to overshoot. I haven't touched down yet! I imagine I'n hitting some kind of automatic go around safety feature - what triggers it and how do I avoid it?Thanks for any replies.

Hi all, I'm having problems with the default Airbus mission, flying from Rome to Naples.The problems I'm experiencing are over powered engines, ineffective trim and auto pilot.I'm very aware that these are "my" problems, I'm "gud at flite sims"; but inexperienced with FSX and commercial flying. I'd be grateful to learn where I'm going wrong.1) The Airbus seems over powered. I've hardly got the wheels up and the flaps in before I over speed while going uphill still in the climb. This thing seems to take off and climb like a Bae Lightining! Does one realy climb an Airbus on 1/4 throttle? Additionaly, while cruising at 320 indicated I'm almost on a closed throttle, and the engines seems hard to manage accurately (One monitors the "N1" guages, right?) with a lot of lag between throtle movment and engine response.2) The aircraft seems much slower in response to trim changes than I'd expect - coupled with the lag in engine response I'm finding it very hard to set level flight at a given speed (say 320 indicated).3) On approach to Naples, I have to use the speed brakes even with fully closed throttle to be able to descend from 7 thousand to three thousand while slowing from 220 to 189 indicated. Is this expected?4) On short final (on an admittedly very ragged aproach) The engines suddenly spool up and I'm forced to overshoot. I haven't touched down yet! I imagine I'n hitting some kind of automatic go around safety feature - what triggers it and how do I avoid it?Thanks for any replies.
I just did this mission yesterday and definitely had issues 3) and 4) also. I had problems with the autopilot at first until I figured out you have to "push" the knobs in such as the Altitude and Speed buttons in order to activate them, even if you have autopilot and auto-throttle enabled. Otherwise without the autopilot I had issue 1) also. I just used the autopilot to set my speed and altitude according to the ATC instructions.

Guest 56RAF_Seeker
I just did this mission yesterday and definitely had issues 3) and 4) also. I had problems with the autopilot at first until I figured out you have to "push" the knobs in such as the Altitude and Speed buttons in order to activate them, even if you have autopilot and auto-throttle enabled. Otherwise without the autopilot I had issue 1) also. I just used the autopilot to set my speed and altitude according to the ATC instructions.
Thanks for the reply, so it's not just me then!Is there anyway I can check any auto functions are turned off? Is there a display panel that would confirm I'm flying "fully manual"?

Guest jshyluk

It's been a verly long time since I have looked at this Mission, but this may help:If you have the need for "Going Boeing", you can turn off the flight control computers. If memory serves, there are three switches in the lower right of the upper panel that control the flight control computers. Airbus comes equipped with a "fly-by-wire" system that interprets the pilot's actions into manoeuvres that fall safely within the flight envelope. Turn off the computers, and you will fly manually.This is not my way of saying that you are flying ham-handedly - maybe you are or maybe the Mission has problems. But if you want the Airbus flight control computers to let go of your ride, you can shut off HAL-9000 with those three switches. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Airbus Autopilot is different than the Boeing. If I have misunderstood, the problem is that the plane does not seem to follow the commands for the autopilot and you do not know how to see if they are active. Then above the artificial horizon if you have enabled HDG you should see the writing HDG, to turn on it you must ensure that you have activated the key FD flight director and after it having selected the direction and you have press the wheel.About overspeed and trim try to follow the speed that gives you the instructor, below 10,000 feet 250 knots, to activate you need to select the speed with control wheel push the control and see if the autotrottle button is on.Above 10,000 feet hold up to 320 knots maximumHold down 320 to 10000 then slow down to 250, finally landing at a reasonable speed is 135 knots with full flap.This is the real trim use in Airbus :Control of mechanical trim levers should be used when the automatic control of the pitch trim is not available. The trim position is indicated in degrees on a scale adjacent to each wheel trim. After the contact of the front wheel, the pitch trim wheels automatically returned to 0

It's been a verly long time since I have looked at this Mission, but this may help:If you have the need for "Going Boeing", you can turn off the flight control computers. If memory serves, there are three switches in the lower right of the upper panel that control the flight control computers. Airbus comes equipped with a "fly-by-wire" system that interprets the pilot's actions into manoeuvres that fall safely within the flight envelope. Turn off the computers, and you will fly manually.This is not my way of saying that you are flying ham-handedly - maybe you are or maybe the Mission has problems. But if you want the Airbus flight control computers to let go of your ride, you can shut off HAL-9000 with those three switches. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Thanks I was struggling with this until I turned off the computers then landed it first time.