Sign in to follow this  
datter

Your recommendations for "must have" freeware aircraft?

I fly FSX regularly with a friend of mine and we're finding that some of the freeware aircraft we're trying are really just not up to snuff. Questionable flight models, no VC etc. We're looking for a list of must-have freeware planes (of all types) that are "good". Good = Virtual cockpit, decent "realistic" flight model, fancy features (clickable buttons in cockpit etc), decent visual appearance.An example of what we consider good is this F86 Saber. It was built for Fs9 but has been ported over to FSX (in an interim way) very nicely. It's a joy to fly, looks terrific, has a great VC with lots of goodies and even sports engine failures, stuck gear etc if you abuse it. Definitely "good".I'm posting this to a few forums in a search for some "good" freeware aircraft. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.Thanks,datterPS- I'm flying FSX/Acceleration, though my friend is only up to SP2 (non-Accel) if that impacts any recommendations.

I fly FSX regularly with a friend of mine and we're finding that some of the freeware aircraft we're trying are really just not up to snuff. Questionable flight models, no VC etc. We're looking for a list of must-have freeware planes (of all types) that are "good". Good = Virtual cockpit, decent "realistic" flight model, fancy features (clickable buttons in cockpit etc), decent visual appearance.An example of what we consider good is this F86 Saber. It was built for Fs9 but has been ported over to FSX (in an interim way) very nicely. It's a joy to fly, looks terrific, has a great VC with lots of goodies and even sports engine failures, stuck gear etc if you abuse it. Definitely "good".I'm posting this to a few forums in a search for some "good" freeware aircraft. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.Thanks,datterPS- I'm flying FSX/Acceleration, though my friend is only up to SP2 (non-Accel) if that impacts any recommendations.
Have you tried the south cal prop club yet they have some excellent freeware aircraft that have been acceleration tested. I am using vista fsx acceleration sp2 and they work fine for me. some have vc and some don't.WC :(

Project Open Sky for arguably the best freeware tubeliner ever. Check it out here. The 777-200/300 towards the bottom of the page is where you should start...The only other link you will need is this one. That will keep you busy no doubt!Konrad

Konrad

I would have to say my favorites are the Milton Shupe trifecta: Beech D18, Howard 500, and the Spartan Executive. These oldies but goodies are on a different level from most freeware craft. My current favorite GA ride is the Justflight C-152 because it brings back memories. I just downloaded the new release Mitchell B-25 in RAF colors. Only flown it for about 5 minutes so far but seems like a real keeper.CraigG

A couple of birds you might want to look at are the RWD-8pws and the RWD-14b "Czapla" by Lukasz Kubacki and co. They're both historic tail draggers if this happens to appeal to you, but most importantly they're of such outstanding quality. Worth a look even if you're a high and fast driver. You'll find them in the library here.

Mike Beckwith

"Freeware" he said...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Guest bekfreak
"Freeware" he said...
My computer just went into assembly and I saw what looks to be a nice 727-200 for FSX on simaviation. I wonder if anyone gave this bird a go. I'll miss the Dreamfleet 727 for abit even if I can still fly it on FS9. I'm not sure with CS anymore these days.

... and if you're into aerobatics - there's Long Island Classic's Christen Eagle:-

Available here at the Avsim library: Look for "liceagii.zip"ORhttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi...istianeagle.ziporiginally for FS9, but patched - it's flawless. A joy to fly! :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I would have to say my favorites are the Milton Shupe trifecta: Beech D18, Howard 500, and the Spartan Executive. These oldies but goodies are on a different level from most freeware craft.CraigG
Sweet. Thanks for mentioning this. I've loved the Spartan Executive since I saw a pic of one last year in Smithsonian Air & Space. I just downloaded it and looking forward to a jaunt after.

More excellent suggestions to look into, and once again thanks to all.

IFly 747-400Lockheed L039 ConstellationNavion Version 1Meyers 200Twin bonanzaMike Stone's Aircraft (http://www.gjsmith.net/Mike-Stone/index.htm) Especially J3 Classic Wheels, Skis, and FloatsMilton Shupe's Aircraft (Especially Howard 500 and Beech D18 already mentioned by others)Premier Aircraft Tupolev Tu-114 (USSR Luxery Liner)Good Luck:RTH