Sign in to follow this  
Guest cseidel

CPU multiplier

Guest cseidel

I have a E6600 duo core I have overclocked to 3.0 (333 x 9) I am running 2 gig Corsair 6400Pro which I have increased the timing to 4-4-4-12 original was 5-5-5-12. I have two questions 1. would I be better turning the multiplier down to 8 and the ram up to 400. 2. Before reading Nicks post stating you should run two sticks of 2 gig for a total of 4 gig of memory I purchased 2 additional sticks of Corsair 6400 pro for a total of 4 1gig sticks. Is it ok to run this or am I better off just staying with 2 gigs.Thanks Chuck

Guest D17S

At least the extra 2Gs will do Something for FS (assuming you are software enabled above 2Gs for FS). Performance wise, ram timing decreases from 5-5-5-12 to 4-4-4-12 are meaningless. Go for the extra ram. If you have to relax the timing to run 4x1G sticks, that's no (performance) problem at all.

Guest simjunkie
I have a E6600 duo core I have overclocked to 3.0 (333 x 9) I am running 2 gig Corsair 6400Pro which I have increased the timing to 4-4-4-12 original was 5-5-5-12. I have two questions 1. would I be better turning the multiplier down to 8 and the ram up to 400. 2. Before reading Nicks post stating you should run two sticks of 2 gig for a total of 4 gig of memory I purchased 2 additional sticks of Corsair 6400 pro for a total of 4 1gig sticks. Is it ok to run this or am I better off just staying with 2 gigs.Thanks Chuck
If you increase the amount or RAM you have you probably will have to return the timings to the default ratings, especially with 4 sticks. 2x2Gb is always better than 4x1Gb. However, unless you run a 64bit OS then you need to take extra steps to get the use of more than 2Gb for any app, at least with XP. Also, you must have Acceleration or SP2 to be able to have FSX use more than 2Gb. If you can, the best setup is 4Gb (2x2Gb) on a 64bit OS with the highest memory speed and lowest timings you can muster. Can you run that E6600 at 9x400? Generally speaking, if your memory is stable at 8x400FSB it should be stable at 9x400FSB, provided your cpu can run that.-jk

Guest cseidel
If you increase the amount or RAM you have you probably will have to return the timings to the default ratings, especially with 4 sticks. 2x2Gb is always better than 4x1Gb. However, unless you run a 64bit OS then you need to take extra steps to get the use of more than 2Gb for any app, at least with XP. Also, you must have Acceleration or SP2 to be able to have FSX use more than 2Gb. If you can, the best setup is 4Gb (2x2Gb) on a 64bit OS with the highest memory speed and lowest timings you can muster. Can you run that E6600 at 9x400? Generally speaking, if your memory is stable at 8x400FSB it should be stable at 9x400FSB, provided your cpu can run that.-jk
Thanks simjunkie I do not want to push the chip that hard (9X400) Would I be better at 8X400 or 9X350 to get aprox 3.2 gzh

Guest simjunkie
Thanks simjunkie I do not want to push the chip that hard (9X400) Would I be better at 8X400 or 9X350 to get aprox 3.2 gzh
Your chip should be fine @1.45v max (even 1.50v) and less than 72 deg C under full load.If you want to play it safe (perfectly fine by anyone's standards) then I don't think there would be much difference between those two settings. At the same cpu speed I'd give the edge to 8x400 @ 4-4-4-12. Try to set your tRD (if you have that setting) to 5 (or 6 if 5 won't work).-jk

Guest cseidel
Your chip should be fine @1.45v max (even 1.50v) and less than 72 deg C under full load.If you want to play it safe (perfectly fine by anyone's standards) then I don't think there would be much difference between those two settings. At the same cpu speed I'd give the edge to 8x400 @ 4-4-4-12. Try to set your tRD (if you have that setting) to 5 (or 6 if 5 won't work).-jk
Thanks simjunkie I appreciate the comeback and the information.Chuck