Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

Mesh, Landclass and Scenery layer order

I've always thought that Mesh layers should be below any other addons, followed by Landclass layers, followed by the Scenery (airports, object, etc) layers.Recently I read in the documentation of a New Zealand addon (don't recall which one) that Mesh should always be on top!Now I'm confused :( So; is there a optimal order that needs to be adhered to in the Scenery Library and if so, what should it be?Thanks for your help.Best regards,Frank

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

It doesn't make any difference. Mesh has no effect on other scenery types. Higher (horizontal) resolution mesh will be used in preference to lower resolution regardless. The only time priority (layer number) comes into play is when there are multiple mesh files of the same resolution covering the same area. I've seen folks use certain ordering, more for ease in management than anything else. Now there are layering issues for scenery of the same types, but you have to have a fairly deep understanding of the exclusion/deletion mechanisms and how they apply to a specific addon. I hesitate to state a "rule", other than I would in general have a "small area" scenery at a higher priority than a "wide area" scenery. scott s..

Scott,isn't there some rule concerning mesh that the order of priority is the reverse of that for other scenery.cfg entries?This is one of the confusing things...Thanks in advanceAndrew

Scott,isn't there some rule concerning mesh that the order of priority is the reverse of that for other scenery.cfg entries?This is one of the confusing things...Thanks in advanceAndrew
I have a simple rule, which has proven to work pretty good for me.Mesh-Landclass-Scenery. And I agree about smaller area higher priority than wider area.Since I have 280 entries in my scenery cfg, I am very careful about possible double airports, due to some multipacks etc. You have to remove double files usually, to avoid compatibility issues. Putting new scenery above another one usually will give you problems.

That rule says that when there are two (or more) mesh files containing mesh of the SAME resolution and the SAME area, the first file encountered (either within a folder or via the layer order priority system -- lowest priority is read first) will be retained. This is per investigations by Steve Greenwood. Read here:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/priority.shtmlfor details.scott s..