Sign in to follow this  
Benji

Saving config files (vista)

Hope this will be a simple question/solution.I have recently upgraded to vista and FSX. I have full administrator rights on the system however when I try to ad data to the aircraft config file it says "You do not have sufficient rights" and refuses to let me modify the .cfg. Am I missing something really obvious or can anyone make any suggestions?ThanksBen

Two ways around that.Open Notepad, browse to your file, modify, save.OrTurn off User Account Control in User Accounts in Control Panel.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Ben: This is the UAC at work again. I got the following, in detail from another poster sometime back.1. You must have Administrator privileges of course.2. Click on the round Windows button on the desktop lower left.3. Type "Start Menu" into the Search Button below the window.4. Wait for the Search to find the Start menu.5. Left Click on Start menu.6. Path then is "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories"7. Under "Accessories" RIGHT Click on Notepad and select "Run as Administrator"8. A Blank Notepad should appear. Navigate to the file to be modified, do your thing, and then save it.The full Navigation path is C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Accessories (Whew!) if you prefer that.What I did was carry a Shortcut to Notepad out to my desktop so I don't have to go through all this again each time. You still have to remember to run the shortcut as Adminstrator.Regards,Thrakete

Ben: This is the UAC at work again. I got the following, in detail from another poster sometime back.1. You must have Administrator privileges of course.2. Click on the round Windows button on the desktop lower left.3. Type "Start Menu" into the Search Button below the window.4. Wait for the Search to find the Start menu.5. Left Click on Start menu.6. Path then is "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories"7. Under "Accessories" RIGHT Click on Notepad and select "Run as Administrator"8. A Blank Notepad should appear. Navigate to the file to be modified, do your thing, and then save it.The full Navigation path is C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Accessories (Whew!) if you prefer that.What I did was carry a Shortcut to Notepad out to my desktop so I don't have to go through all this again each time. You still have to remember to run the shortcut as Adminstrator.Regards,Thrakete
Many thanks guys!! Wish I'd stuck with XP :(

The EASIEST way to save your config files in Vista is to simply make a COPY of the file to a temporary location (such as the desktop), edit and save that file and then COPY IT BACK from the temporary location.When you copy it back, Vista will ask you to confirm you want to overwrite the existing file and will (with User Account Control turned on) also ask for your permission to copy it back in. Answer appropriately; and you're done.The usual reason you would not be able to save your config files is because the "Program Files" folder in Vista is locked down to prevent programs (specifically viruses) from making unwanted changes to the files there.You could also run Notepad using the Run as Administrator commands as has been suggested. There are a number of ways to do this. One good way to do it would be to make your shortcut of Notepad on your desktop and then RIGHT-CLICK the shortcut and choose Properties. Click on the COMPATIBILITY tab and then tick the "Run this program as an Administrator" check box. Click OK. Now, everytime you use it, it will always run in Administrator mode without you having to remember to make that choice each time.

Regards,

Freddy

If you happen to think of it next time you install FSX on a Vista rig then install it in some other location than C:\Program Files. While Vista is very protective of this folder it cares little about what you do in your own folders.

Mike Beckwith

Guest GTOMW
You could also run Notepad using the Run as Administrator commands as has been suggested. There are a number of ways to do this. One good way to do it would be to make your shortcut of Notepad on your desktop and then RIGHT-CLICK the shortcut and choose Properties. Click on the COMPATIBILITY tab and then tick the "Run this program as an Administrator" check box. Click OK. Now, everytime you use it, it will always run in Administrator mode without you having to remember to make that choice each time.
Unfortunately when I right clicked on properties under the compatibility tab all the options are greyed out and it states the following "Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of Windows"Good tip on installing to a different location - wish I'd surfed these forums before installation!

Another way of dealing with the User Account Control in Vista is to provide yourself with permission to access any file or folder by right clicking on the file or folder, selecting Properties from the menu, hitting the Security tab and editing the permissions list. Hit the Edit button about half way down the page, locate your user name on the list and click on the Full control checkbox. You will now have full read and write access rights to this file or folder.

Mike Beckwith

If you happen to think of it next time you install FSX on a Vista rig then install it in some other location than C:\Program Files. While Vista is very protective of this folder it cares little about what you do in your own folders.
Is it even possible to install FSX in another location? I'm not sure I remember it being able to do that.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Is it even possible to install FSX in another location? I'm not sure I remember it being able to do that.
Yes, that's possible. I've installed FSX to D:\Games. You can choose any directory you want.

If memory serves there was an option to install FSX to an alternative folder right at the beginning of the installation process. I remember it was so obscure that you could easily overlook it, but there was a button or something which simply offered "More options."

Mike Beckwith

If memory serves there was an option to install FSX to an alternative folder right at the beginning of the installation process. I remember it was so obscure that you could easily overlook it, but there was a button or something which simply offered "More options."
Argh. Would have been nice to know that a year and a half ago. I'm guessing at this point, it's not worth it to move it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.