Amazing how much trouble it is to get FSX to run. With my older system with a 4870 1GB card FSX runs great. This GTX295 runs my games great, but NOT FSX.In FSX I get spikes that come and go. I tried 5 freak'n driver releases and still have these spikes. I run the driver settings at the default level in novidia control panel.I tired turning of the Phyx setting too and even tried differenet settings in FSX. What gives?This is with FSX SP2.Any ideas would be appreciated. Just can't wait for the new ATI cards. :(
Hi McCrash, Go to the main FSX forum and look for my recent post on a New FSX Optimizer. It will cure "spikes" and "surges" (depending on your definition), probably most effectively in machines which have enough GPU headroom to make them prone to this issue. Give it a try. Between it and using the correct Bufferpools setting, FSX is now fully optimized and maximally smooth. These two moves, plus 64bit OS, were the final touches for me--many are having good luck so far with this utility--I know it has totally improved my installation, and I don't have Vista optimized hardly at all.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

EVGA sent me a new 295. I will be installing it in a day or two. We shall see if there is an improvement.Their RMA process was fairly easy and the turn around was excellent.

Hi thereI have just updated my PC is to the following configuration >Operating System: Windows Vista (64 bit)CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHzMemory (RAM): 12.0 GBGraphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 (x2, I have two of them - running latest drivers, from the official website, version 182.08)DirectX Version: 10FSX: SP2All is not okay. When flying my PMDG MD11 the system crashes, telling me I am out of memory when I have plenty left! This is the error message I get (see below)Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: fsx.exe Application Version: 10.0.61355.0 Application Timestamp: 4643ee0a Fault Module Name: PMDG_MD11.DLL Fault Module Version: 10.0.61355.58 Fault Module Timestamp: 49669c84 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 001175d1 OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057Additional information about the problem: LCID: 2057At the time I was flying with only one card active (in non SLI mode)If I run in SLI mode (which I'm getting means I am using both cards!?) the system crashes before I can get off the ground!Anyone have any idea's into what's going on? Does FSX have a limit of memory it will use, even if I have more!??ThanksKimberly RJ

Kimberly:you need to disable SLI to get the most out of FSX. It simply doesn't support Alternate Frame Rendering.

Kimberly:you need to disable SLI to get the most out of FSX. It simply doesn't support Alternate Frame Rendering.
In testing it makes no difference into if SLI mode is engaged or not - the system still crashes!

Guest rdg
In testing it makes no difference into if SLI mode is engaged or not - the system still crashes!
Kimberly,I was browsing through this thread and I have not really been involved, but I have a question for you. Have you tested your memory? Either running OCCT or Prime95 or best of all Memtest? It may be a shot in the dark, but it is possible that memory is faulty on one of your banks. You could also try to remove enough that would leave say 4 gig. You could then test each 4 gig. Just a thought.Bob G

Im being told its because FSX is going over 2GB which is causing it to crash...PMDG Support said I can programe FSX to use more then 2GB memory but they did not explain clearly how this could be done, only copying in this linkhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906211.aspxWhich I can make head or tail of.So, as FSX is limited to 2GB and Im going over it, surely increasing its 'limit' to 3GB or 4GB would solve that issue?I have however tested the RAM etc, all running normally.I dont have any spike issues and none of the other issues certain 295 users are having, just crashing when the FSX goes over 2GBKimberly.

I dont have any spike issues and none of the other issues certain 295 users are having, just crashing when the FSX goes over 2GBKimberly.
So why don't you adapt your 32bit OS to use 3GB of address space for FSX? Remember, nothing to do with memory.In your boot.ini, put /3GB /userva=2760 in the line where other "/" settings are, that is what others recommend.I say, go with 64bit OS.Good luck!

User Bufferpools. If your Vcard has 1GB, you can use a bufferpool value between 10 000 000 and 100 000 000[bufferPools]PoolSize=10000000
Bad idea. To much memory reserved for storing textures can make the sim run slower, or give problems no matter who much VRAM your card has. Best thing to do is to leave it at the default and delete the bufferpool setting from the cfg. Trust me, I used to think bufferpools was the best setting and that all people that left it at the default would have the worst texture loading speed but I was so wrong. Recently after reinstalling FSX, brand spankin knew with the only tweaks to it being airspeed, and heading showing up on aircraft labels, the time to display the views (exp. "Virtual Cockpit Zoom 0.60..."), and the affinitymask tweak, I have FSX running at the best it ever has, no bufferpools no nothing. The textures load faster than ever and its smoother than ever as well. Nothing beats clean FSX with no or little tweaks.Everyone read this. It works, and it works very well, clearing many out of memory errors, and causing less graphical glitches, while giving no performance hit. Worst thing that can happen is you uninstalling it if you don't like it.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=cleanmem

EVGA sent me a new 295. I will be installing it in a day or two. We shall see if there is an improvement.Their RMA process was fairly easy and the turn around was excellent.
To update ... the second card was 10 times worse ... sent that puppy back too ... now I have a third one on the floor ... but I had send my motherboard back to Asus to have it checked ... have no idea when I will get it back.

Guest flyguy1911

The 295 is a dual GPU card. FSX does not support dual GPU cards. That is your problem. Try it with a single GPU card, and see if all is well.And make sure you have at least FSX SP2 installed, if you dont have Accel. SP2 allows FSX to use more than the 2GB of memory usually available. After that, try the 3GB switch, since you are on 32 bit. And I seriously recomend just paying MS the $10 for a 64 bit upgrade. It is wirth every penny once you get some more RAM. Vista 64 flys when it has the RAM.

Guest rdg

Hi,I have heard many having issues from Blue Screens to reboot. Many issues were solved by setting AffinityMask = 12 or 14, but try 12 first. The reason is the OS uses Core zero for most of it's background tasks, or at least the majority of task proccess use Core zero the most, and FSX does not play well with others. Core zero with FSX running, just hammers that core. Many have reported "problem solved". It is worth a try. If there is such a thing as an 8 core processor, find the affinitymask setting that allows you remove fsx to use only 4 othe cores. Please try!!!!!RegardsBob

To update ... the second card was 10 times worse ... sent that puppy back too ... now I have a third one on the floor ... but I had send my motherboard back to Asus to have it checked ... have no idea when I will get it back.
I think your main problem is your screen name "McCrash" :( If I were you I would test your RAM on the MOBO. Have you run MEMTEST yet to check it? Jim

Jim Wenham

Well, Asus has great support too, they sent me a new motherboard.

Well son of a gun ... I found an nVidia driver release that works great in FSX (sp2). The 185.68 Beta release. All anomalies are gone. The only thing that still remains is a little bit of the blurries far away. But hopefully I will be able to cure that with a newer release of either nHancer or RivaTuner. So I think you GTX295 folks should check out this driver release. Oh, should mention that CoD4 and CoD5 and Fear 2 all work ok too.