Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Spelling?

It is biblical... give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a fish and a loaf of bread and he eats for two days. Give a man a spelling error and he lives forever!
Sorry Tom, that is not in the Bible, poetic maybe, but not biblical. I do know (not "no") what you mean though.This is still my favorite site in getting the full enjoyment of flight simulation. In the past there was a lot of anger expressed in the forums, name calling, etc. Lately though, really very civilized and I enjoy the forums, even this one.Happy landings everyone.Jim D.p.s. Hope to see you in Dayton but unsure right now. Economy is bad and I'm not sure if I'll have a job after June, even though I am a city employee.

Sorry Tom, that is not in the Bible, poetic maybe, but not biblical. I do know (not "no") what you mean though.
Small 'b' biblical = profound, large 'B' Biblical = in the Bible! :( You'd think I could find something substantial to contribute. Perhaps I'll browse some other threads. :( And good luck, Jim!

Small 'b' biblical = profound, large 'B' Biblical = in the Bible! :( You'd think I could find something substantial to contribute. Perhaps I'll browse some other threads. :( And good luck, Jim!
No problem. All of this is kind of silly anyway. I'll move on too (as in also, not "to" nor "two").Jim D.

Wasn't it also known as 'The Gruniaad'.......
Indeed, it was also known as 'The Gruniaad' . That just demonstrates that there is an infinite number of ways to spell anything wrongly, but only one way to spell it right. Which makes it a statistical miracle that we can communicate with each other at all.
.......or am I just getting too old & stupid?
Only you can answer that. :( But statistically, with age comes wisdom. :( And being biblical, (or Biblical), Job 32:7 says "I thought, 'Age should speak, and experience should teach wisdom.'"

Petraeus

Guest jshyluk
"In the first what???????????"
I thought there was something fishy about how my last post ended, but I couldn't fin my error. Better go back to school, or else I will flounder.Biblical or not, my favourite rendition of the quote comes from J. Danforth Quayle:"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."It turns out that in the 1980's and 90's he was dead on about the current world economic situation we face today. He said, and I quote:"Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement."Powerful words from a man more powerful that I could ever hope to be. And now I will bow out of this silliness!Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest napamule

Best laugh I've had in ages. This is a hoot (translae THAT). And Petreaus, 'wrongly' is not a word. Wrong is an adjective, and what would be the proper case and tense. (Tense like all us 'wordsmiths'. Wordologists. Typo counters). Glad I took a peek. Peaked my curiousity. Great job, anyway, 'Editorial Staff' (what DO you 'Edit'?-heehee).Chuck B

Peaked my curiousity. Chuck B
I think you mean it 'piqued' your 'curiosity' - sorry, couldn't resist :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Best laugh I've had in ages. This is a hoot (translae THAT). And Petreaus, 'wrongly' is not a word. Wrong is an adjective, and what would be the proper case and tense. (Tense like all us 'wordsmiths'. Wordologists. Typo counters). Glad I took a peek. Peaked my curiousity. Great job, anyway, 'Editorial Staff' (what DO you 'Edit'?-heehee).Chuck B
"Petraeus", not "Petreaus", by the way. :( And "wrongly" is indeed a word, as any good dictionary will confirm. It is an adverb, and so in this context modifies the verb "spell", as does the adverb "right" a little later in the sentence. And who can forget Voltaire's quotation, especially in some dark and troubled parts of the world - "Many are destined to reason wrongly; others, not to reason at all, and others to persecute those who reason".

Petraeus

One of those 'international things' I think, and a sign that language is always evolving. Many Americans don't 'do' adverbs. Nothing really wrong with that, it's just a national trait. :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

As an English teacher and a copy editor and reviewer of an academic journal, I've kept out of the fray (wouldn't want to be accused of being pedantic) ... but I have enjoyed the discussion!Gotta love Avsim :-)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Many Americans don't 'do' adverbs. Nothing really wrong with that, it's just a national trait. Al
Yes, we noticed. :(
Nobody should be surprised that the most controversial moment in Tuesday's presidential inauguration ceremony was caused by an adverb...."The road to hell," Stephen King has said, "is paved with adverbs." And now Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. would likely agree...as every American schoolchild knows, the Constitution requires a new president to say,

Petraeus

Just shows how diffilcult the English language is. Remember the rule: "I" before "E" except after "C" or in words like "neighbor" and "weigh" (or "theirs").
Or phenolphthalein. :( Makes me wonder why they make rules like this when there are so many exceptions.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Or phenolphthalein. :( Makes me wonder why they make rules like this when there are so many exceptions.
As an English teacher I must say that I'm a great fan of all our little exceptions. Keeps me in work :(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)