Sign in to follow this  
Guest HansGroenewold

Omega driver questions.

Couple quick questions about the Omega drivers.1) It states on his site: The drivers can be installed just by upgrading your current drivers, there is no need to uninstall previous ones, they are made in a way that all your previous settings will be erased when they are installed. Does this include going from the 30.xx series as well? I have the 30.82's installed now but want to give the 40.xx series Omega's a try.2) Where on the Omega site can you go to get the 42.86's that from what I read are the best 40 series out there. The Omega site has the 43.45's on there now?Thanks for any help.

Eric 

Guest FPSFREAK

B, He rewrites the drivers as he gets them. he works w them for a period of time looking for issues, bugs and tweaks that can be enable so it takes a little while for the latest sets to become Omega sets. He's also very picky about what drivers are turned into omegas. It is true that for the Nvidia cards you can just update the drivers without uninstalling the old ones. For ATI based cards I would uninstall the old ones myself. I swear by these drivers. Fantastic image quality w no real drop in performance. Try 'em...You might like 'em :)Bobby

Guest HansGroenewold

I agree, I like 'em too. I also play GTA III and the image quality improvement there was really noticeable. I used to try every driver for my Ge 4 Ti4600 that became available. With the Omega driver, I'm staying put for a while unless he comes out with a new one.Hans

Where can you get the Omega Drivers?Thanks,Kevin Emilsson

Bobby and Hans,Thanks guys. Gonna try them tonight.

Eric 

Hi Bobby,Thought I would give them a try as well. The 43.45s installed no probs under XP Home SP1, although I did uninstall the previous driver set first. Running Driver Cleaner confirmed all files had been removed and I ran the Omega executable following a reboot and cancellation out of the hardware detection wizard.However, accepting the default 'quality' settings is really a no no as far as FS2002 is concerned. Ground texture quality was very poor and quite unacceptable as far as I am concerned. I know the author recommends leaving his settings as is, especially mipmapping LOD, but I found adjusting the Anisotropy level from 'OFF' to level 8 sorted out the texture issues and the image is noticeably better than with my previous driver set - Creative Labs 41.80 variants.Enabling Anisotropic filtering and/or FSAA x2 (in my case) does cause a frame rate hit with my GeForce4 Ti4400 / P4 2.4GHz. I tend not to employ FSAA preferring instead to run at 1280x960x32. Despite these reservations I do believe these drivers have something worthwhile to offer in terms of image quality and smoothness of screen update, even at lower frame rates.I ran 3DMark03 and my score increased from a previous 1456 to 1754 with these Omega drivers and this is without any overclocking.All in all I think these drivers have earned the right to stay on my system for the time being.Mike :-wave

Hi Mike,I installed the Omega 43.45 drivers just as stated in the ReadMe, in the quality mode I am now running my P4/1.7ghz system with a GF4200Ti/64 at 1024/768/32 and I am getting excellent scenery quality. I did activate AA via the driver and in FS2002 as stated, but I touched NOTHING else as stated in the README, since that changes his work.These are excellent drivers I am very pleased and will not make a change of driver until he does.CheersBob

Guest FPSFREAK

Glad you liked them guys !!I started using them when I first installed Unreal Tournament 2003 on a machine for a customer. I was having major issues w stutters and poor visual quality. I was told to try the Omegas and lo and behold...BINGO!! No stuuters and amazing visual quality differences. I have been a convert since that day and run them exclusively on every system I put together.You guys are right though. Play w the settings. Default is nice but they seem to like it when you tweak them a little.Have a good day guysBobby