Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Odd texture issue

I've noticed the textures in and around Phoenix look rather odd. Attached is an image of Lake Pleasant--smack in the middle of the desert these nice green textures appear. Same is true of the White Tanks to the SW of Lake Pleasant. I am wondering if others see this in their default scenery around Phoenix? My hunch is if they are in the default scenery they are being used to represent regional park land, except that we're in the desert, and our park land does not have this appearance :) I can update the landclass but before I do that I want to make sure it's not another issue unique to my install of FS-X.Regards,John

Guest zonie

Yes, the default Phoenix area leaves MUCH to be desired. You could change the landclass as you suggest, but I highly recommend the Megascenery Phoenix for FSX. True it's only one season (spring from the looks of the normally dry rivers and brown canal water, the result of heavy rains), but it greatly enhances the look and feel of the area. It also gets rid of the "park" area on top of Camelback Mountain, where the out of scale trees look really out of place. There are also some good freeware scenery enhancements available for the rest of AZ that add photoreal textures to Prescott, Tucson and the area around Show Low in addition to the fabulous Grand Canyon scenery made available by OZx.

That's very strange... I reinstalled FSX about a week ago, and flew around the Pleasant area, and looked nothing like that. Are you sure it's not something leftover, scenery-wise?Very odd.Also John, have you tried http://www.blueskyscenery.com/download.html they have some AMAZING Phoenix scenery, and free ;)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Guest Bob Z

JohnThat's exactly what that area looks like in my FSX.

That's very strange... I reinstalled FSX about a week ago, and flew around the Pleasant area, and looked nothing like that. Are you sure it's not something leftover, scenery-wise?Very odd.Also John, have you tried http://www.blueskyscenery.com/download.html they have some AMAZING Phoenix scenery, and free ;)
This is the default scenery, I've actually seen it on two different installs of the sim and thought the first was a fluke. I then took the Worldlc.bgl from fs9 and tried it, and still saw the issue. As for BlueSky, I normally fly using Tileproxy which is amazing especially since I tweaked it to show 1m scenery to about 30 miles out, but from time to time I try flying with the default scenery when I want some autogen around. I'll try changing the seasons--haven't tried that yet. It could be a seasonal issue so it's possible that it doesn't show all the time.Thanks for the reply,John

Guest Bob Z

JohnThe only add-on I have for FSX is FSX2WATER, which is a reduced ripple effect.I tried it with Spring, Summer and Fall and all seasons look exactly the same. I don't believe that I have seen anything similar in any of my flights in other areas. At least I haven't noticed it.Bob Z

JohnThe only add-on I have for FSX is FSX2WATER, which is a reduced ripple effect.I tried it with Spring, Summer and Fall and all seasons look exactly the same. I don't believe that I have seen anything similar in any of my flights in other areas. At least I haven't noticed it.Bob Z
I tried the other seasons as well, same result as you. It is definitely something in the default scenery that seems to be overriding the default landclass. I have some Phoenix Landclass I've prepared, I am going to tweak the area a bit and recompile, see what I come up with. In general the ground textures for Arizona look awful. FS9, even at lower 5M res, looked much better. I wonder if anyone has built new (freeware) ground textures that better resemble the desert Southwest? If not I will get to work on that as well :)Regards,JohnEdit: Found what is causing the issue. FS-X is using bgl vector data and a generic texture to designate parkland. By commenting out the parks entry in the terrain.cfg, I made the park textures vanish around Lake Pleasant, the White Tanks, and a few other regional parks. I'd like to find out what bgl would hold this type of vector data and/or whether there's a way to exclude the parkland just for certain areas. Problem with Phoenix is although areas like Lake Pleasant and the White Tanks have regional parks, they aren't planted with lush vegetation or meant to look like an oasis.