Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 Pro crashes XP Pro

I just installed a new XP-2600+ chip and FS2002 crashes and I get a serious system error.I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board with 1 gig PC2700 memory and a Leadtek A280 GeForce4 Ti4200 8x AGP 128mb video card running 43.45 drivers. I also have DirectX 9.0a installed. I have FS2002 maxed out on all setting for display, scenery, etc.......I also have Flight One 421C Golden Eagle, DreamFleet 737,Radar Contact, and a ton of downloaded aircraft.What could be making FS2002 crash? Going from a XP-2400 266 bus to a XP-2600 333 bus should make this thing run like a rocket. Should I delete most everything and start fresh (flight sims that is)? Will reinstalling FS2002 do anything?I have all the lastest upgrades for BIOS, drivers, and XP. Why, why, why? Denny ONashvilleP.S. All other programs appear normal.

Guest kurtj

Sounds like a good system but I don't understand why it is crashing so that isn't so great. What type of crash is it? Is it the Microsoft Send don't send message or "Windows has shut down to pervent further damage to your computer" in the blue screen mode. Maybe you can post some shots of the problem so people at the forum can help you get up and fly. Also just reinstall the basic fs and add on addon at a time. If you find one addon causing difficulty uninstall or call that vender to help you out.

Good thought and I may have to do that. Reinstall everything.The problem I am having is that FS2002 just stops. Does nothing but freezes then either goes to the desktop for me to report a problem to Microsoft or I can't get anything to work so I have to reboot.Weird but it could be a bad file I have downloaded. I reinstalled DirectX 9.0a and thought that may fix it. I also just deleted my fs2002.cfg file but that did not help.I run all the detail to the max and always have. I run a resolution at about 1280 x 1040.How is the best way to delete everything and start over. Alot of the addon software requires a key or sequence number (which I have) but is there an easier way?Thanks for your helpDenny

Guest DanWalloch

I'm running WinXP Pro and I have no problems running FS2002 Pro. Check your bois settings, also go to Asus's website and search their forum if they have one. My specs: P4 2.4Ghz 500Mhz FSBAbit SR7-8X (latest drivers and bios)512MB PC2700 RamATI 128MB Radeon 9500Pro 8X (with ram and gpu o/c'd by 10Mhz[difference of 2fps and proves to be more stable @ holding FPS's])By overclocking your ram by that much, without proper heat disapation, and then the load of FS maxed out, you're probably crashing your mobo. Also check to make sure that the mobo settings are correct for the new CPU.

Guest Ken Meier

I just upgraded to the same mobo and a 2800+ and all is working great. Is the mobo new as well? If it is you most likely need to re-load Windows even if all other programs are working OK.Good luck,K

Guest kurtj

If the addons are exe files most of the time it has a uninstall option to do. As far as the planes, sounds etc. Just simply delete all of those in your fs2002 folder. Delete the folder in program files/fs2002. I would then defrag, and reinstall from the bottom up. That's all. I had to do it once after a number of report errors to ms so I cleaned it out, and most of the time I have little trouble.

First things first.Locate what is causing the problem. Ask yourself "was FS running fine right before my CPU swap?" You need to narrow it down. I really don't believe that the CPU itself is the problem. When this type of problem comes up, it seems to be a video card or driver issue but not always. Are you sure that you have set the correct FSB for the CPU in your bios? Maybe your video card is being pushed beyond what it can handle? Your CPU should be set to 166/166.The other issue that comes to mind is your ram settings. Even if you have very fast rated ram, it might be a batch that cannot handle the 2.5 setting. Try setting it to SPD and raise the other settings a bit and then give it a try. Once FS crashes, there should appear a windows message asking to inform MS, click on the reason why and look at the cause. One more note, if you are overclocking, it will at times crash FS and or windows.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

All good thoughts. As far as the bus speed the board and memory both show 333 (166) at start up which is not overclocking at all. I have a CoolerMaster case that has 6 fans and all the temps are low.Next, the BIOS is up to date and I could not find anything on the ASUS webb site. I have Kingston memory installed.I have re-installed XP so many times that I have to call Microsoft on the fall to get the number to activate Windows. Two things I have not done - done a FULL reinstall of FS2002 and worked on the video card to make sure it is set right and all the Nvidia settings are tweaked.I have reinstalled FS2002 but just over FS2002 which still had all my other stuff in it. I will do that from scratch today.Second - how do you tweak a video card. Not overclock but set Geforece settings under the advanced tab. If anyone is using the Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4200 8X AGP A280 and it is working fine I would appreciate you telling me your settigs and what version of driver you are using.Have a great one!Denny

Case closed.Just spoke with Kingston Technology about a potential RAM problem. The problem is not the RAM but the Asus A7N8X motherboard and the Nvidia chipset. It appears that some, not all, boards are having problems with running at the 333 bus speed.Listen to how good these guys are, not their fault but they are going to replace the memory with newer ones just in case that may fix my problem. The reason I know it is not all boards is that a buddy and I built the same system at the same time and he has never had this problem. Good service from Kingston! Customer for life.Denny ONashville