Sign in to follow this  
CaptEm1

PMDG MD-11 Manual

MD-11 Manual  

209 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the manual have you read?

• The entire thing, carefully.
    • Skimmed through everything.
    • FMS and Tutorial.
    • Only the Tutorial, skimmed through the rest.
    • Only the Tutorial.
    • FCOM, FMS, Systems and Tutorial.
    • FMS, Systems and Tutorial.
    • A little bit of everything.
    • Almost nothing, I don't need it.
  2. 2. What do you think of it?

• Love it, very informative and professional.
    • It's too long, very frustrating.
    • I like it, although it could've been shorter.
    • It's good, but at times it can be a little difficult to absorb everything.
    • Way too complicated, hard to understand.

Hi everyone.This is just an inquiry I made in order to get some insight on how people feel about the manual, and also which part of it you chose to read before taking to the skies.Thanks for your participation!

If the option was there, I would have said "Skimmed through everything, read some bits in very carefully"

If the option was there, I would have said "Skimmed through everything, read some bits in very carefully"
Missed that one too, yeah. I read just about everything but not carefully from A to Z, also because there is too much info in there to absorp in one go. So sometimes when I thought 'I don't really get this' or ' I won't remember this when I need it' I started skimming. But I did turn every page, so to speak. And I would also have chosen 'Love it, very informative and professional, but at times it can be a little difficult to absorb everything' if that one was available... :(

Guest BalutheBear

I downloaded the manual, in order to shorten the long waiting time for the FS9 Box, which is delayed to the end of February.....The manual seems to be a bit too informative for a User, which is new to flight simulation, but I liked it though.Will all upcoming documentations be produced in this quality??

I voted with "way too complicated". Why? Not because I'm not used to see such a "piece of work" -- I have several other "original" aircraft manuals, and many are written similarily. But because it is way too complicated and hard to understand at times.The sections are introduced by lengthy descriptions how things work and where they are (fuel chapter is a good example). Why not spare this and add a simple drawing or pictures instead? Easy to understand and intuitive. More visual stuff would shorten the entire manual, and one picture often says much more than thousand words!It's simply the lack of ability to create a good manual that hinders the authors to produce one. Knowing what to write is not enough, important is how and in what form you write it.I dare to say that a much reworked and shortened manual would make the whole content way easier for everyone without loosing anything of the information contained therein. Flattening the learning curve should be a priority of this kind of "literature" (less errors, less misunderstandings etc.). Not an easy task, absolutely not, but that's how "good" and "poor" instructions differ.Andreas

Guest charlie1017

OK, here's my opinion: PMDG has created a document (and an airplane) that gives sim pilots the taste of what real world MD-11 pilots have to go through during ground school. Just go to www.smartcockpit.com and you'll see how hard the real world manuals can be! One of my instructors described his Saab 340 ground school as "drinking through a fire hose". And this is the reason why I paid 80 bucks for this addon: to get a taste of the real deal!!! More tutorials or "type rating" lessons (like for the 744) would be nice though. After all, real world folks do have ground and sim instructors to help them.Just my 2 cents,Carlos

As yet still fighting with the manual. It is hard for me as someone whose native language is german. And it is even harder with the translation because PMDG doesn't allow to copy. Normally I would copy and paste the unknown word and an online dictionary will translate it within less than a second. But with the PMDG manuals I always have to write the word manually into the dictionary... Why does PMDG not allow to copy??? For people like me it would be much easier and faster to get through this anyway difficult material.Therfore: PMDG be so kind and give me a manual where i can copy the words!Thank you!

Guest Jeffreymg

I love the manuals and the tutorial is very well done.I would love a tutorial that was done in the USA as I do most of my flying using non metric. JeffG

For me, I find the layout and presentation of the manuals very professional. The information is all there presented in front of you..as you'd expect.However, currently going through the FCOM, there is just so much to absorb..but then again I guess it is pretty much identical to the real world one, without the uncessecary tid bits.Absorbtion is made worse by the PDF. This is obviously no fault of PMDG as it would be impossible to ship out the paper manuals to every customer. I just favour a good old fashioned book. It's just a shame that I am unable to afford the paper manuals.All in all, a manual is a manual. A huge amount of time has been put into making them as clear and precise as possible, I guess it's just down to the individual reader and how they absorb information.

I would love a tutorial that was done in the USA as I do most of my flying using non metric.
Well, then you are going to love the advanced tutorial that's coming up! ;)

Guest Jeffreymg
Can you give a idea on when it will be released? JeffG

Can you give a idea on when it will be released? JeffG
The author hoped to finish it somewhere around the end of this month or march, but it wasn't a promise.

The author hoped to finish it somewhere around the end of this month or march, but it wasn't a promise.
Planned release for the advanced tutorial flight (yes it will be in the US and domestic) is the first week of march. But you never know if life gets in the way so don't shoot me if it will be the second week ;)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest Jeffreymg
Planned release for the advanced tutorial flight (yes it will be in the US and domestic) is the first week of march. But you never know if life gets in the way so don't shoot me if it will be the second week ;)Regards,Markus
Markus, Thanks for the info will be looking forward too see it. JeffG

Guest Mower

The manuals tell you how things work but NOT how to use them!Where are the advanced tutorials??? They are desperately needed IMHO.EDIT: nevermind I see above.