Sign in to follow this  
CaptEm1

PMDG MD-11 Manual

MD-11 Manual  

209 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the manual have you read?

• The entire thing, carefully.
    • Skimmed through everything.
    • FMS and Tutorial.
    • Only the Tutorial, skimmed through the rest.
    • Only the Tutorial.
    • FCOM, FMS, Systems and Tutorial.
    • FMS, Systems and Tutorial.
    • A little bit of everything.
    • Almost nothing, I don't need it.
  2. 2. What do you think of it?

• Love it, very informative and professional.
    • It's too long, very frustrating.
    • I like it, although it could've been shorter.
    • It's good, but at times it can be a little difficult to absorb everything.
    • Way too complicated, hard to understand.

The manuals tell you how things work but NOT how to use them!
Funny you say that because I thought the same: I even posted this a few times some time ago. And I think a lot of people think this too! But this in fact shows that the manuals maybe are a bit too deep, because... ...I found out the FCOM.pdf tells you all you need to know, how to use everything, even in manual mode! It's in fact nothing less than a very advanced and also very complete tutorial! Just start reading at page 73 (NP.30.1) and you'll see what I mean. Everything you need to know for normal flight is written down in chronologial order: every step you need to get the plane from cold and dark before starting and back to cold and dark after landing is there, including the steps for manually operating systems like fuel land air! (BTW In fact, the 'advanced tutorial' starts the chapter before the one I mentioned and you should also read and follow that one, but that chapter contains a lot of things you won't do in a sim (like checking stuff): page 73 and further on show more clearly that the FCOM.pdf DOES contain complete information on how to use everything, so that's why I picked that page as an example.)So the 'advanced tutorial' is in fact already there! You just have to dig a little in the deep manuals! :( Together with the already available basic tutorial (which tells you more about working with the MCDU and various things you would otherwise have to dig up in the other manuals) these Normal Procedure chapters tell you all you need to know!

Guest pegase

I would like to detail a bit and separate the tutorial from the others item of the documentationThe tutorial is simply the best one provided with the plane I have ever followed. I mainly liked- separating the procedural checks from the necessary action to start and fly.- very good illustrations and localisation of the commands and switch. No need to brows desesperatly each square cm of each panel to find a switch ;)- some general explaination why actions must be carried on.It is then very eaasy to use this tutorial as guide for any others flights.For all the other itemsIt is very complete but, a bit too much like the real. Meaning it is for already experienced captains rather than for average simmers.Almost EVERYTHING looks to be in the documentation. if you read it then, you can think "great to know that in such situation". But, if you are in front of a situation and have to find where in which doc you will find how to face it.... :(But some student's technique can help: Ech time you find something and think "how shall I remember it is ther when I will need it?" You write down the file name and page number in a simple text files where items are sorted following the chronology of the flight.I miss (or did not find) fuel planner and how to convert the TOGW, winds and runway length into the proper flex temp.We want and have very sophisticated simulations so, it is a logic consequence that we need a bit of time to learn them,So far I made four flights so, I guess there are still lot of things I can find by my own :(

Guest Tronjer

Well, this one is my first PMDG product and I picked it due to documentation which was available for free download. The level of detail and wealth of information provided there is amazing and made it irresistible for me, to lay my hands on this aircraft, even it may need a long time till I actually master the MD-11.

I've skimmed through the entire manual and in some parts i've spent more time to understand and here and there i could not understand a few pictures more would help a lot. The tutorial is very good but it could explain better some things imo. Im still tryin to figure a lot of stuff yet but in general terms is very well constructed and informative but as some people say sometimes is hard to absorb evrything.

Thanks for all the votes and replies, keep voting and posting your opinions.sincerlyCaptem

Guest Jeffreymg

Just checking on the status of the new tutorial? JeffG

PMDG Team, All PMDG users and I, I would guess they would accept the fact that your team can add more pictures to inform where the function is. Makes it easier to read also. Manual's are readable, makes me a professional reading all these words in front of my friends.-Vincent

OK, here's my opinion: PMDG has created a document (and an airplane) that gives sim pilots the taste of what real world MD-11 pilots have to go through during ground school. Just go to www.smartcockpit.com and you'll see how hard the real world manuals can be! One of my instructors described his Saab 340 ground school as "drinking through a fire hose". And this is the reason why I paid 80 bucks for this addon: to get a taste of the real deal!!! More tutorials or "type rating" lessons (like for the 744) would be nice though. After all, real world folks do have ground and sim instructors to help them.Just my 2 cents,Carlos
Same thinking for me real deal and so complete addon so extraordinary for our passion .And give a good level also . Congratulations for this incredible job PMDG team . regardsPatrick

Guest jeffg

Just checking on the status of the new tutorial? JeffG

If the option was there, I would have said "Skimmed through everything, read some bits in very carefully"
I'm with Bob. I've been in and out of the various manual as I needed info. If anything, I would never say they have too much info. I still have to come to the forums to get explanations. Victor Buck

If anything I think that the manuals are too complete., and those of us who like to fly more than to study will be put off from reading more. Secondly, because here is so much information it

I used the following technique:Used the tutorial to get a feel for the aircraft (by the way, great tutorial, I made my first flight the day I received my MD-11) and then used the manuals to teach myself what to do.I consider the MD-11 to be the most 'complete' FS addon I've ever purchased and worth every penny of its price. If I had to find fault in any way, I would say that I think it's a little strange that the advanced tutorial wasn't ready for release on day one. But before anyone shouts at me, I don't consider it 'the end of the world.' Probably the lack of an advanced tutorial has been beneficial to me as it's made me spend more time reading the manuals and experimenting :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I just love reading all the manuals over and over again. Learning new things every time. With all the material part of the MD11 purchase, it just doesn't get any better.Thank you PMDG !Kind regards,Eric

Guest CX355

I like having the massive manuals, I don't read everything at once as though I am totally new to the acrft. I think if one has been "flying" the med to heavy jets, there are differences, but not so many that you nn treat the acrft as an alien body. I find it interesting to see the differences between Boeing and MD methodology, like Airbus the FMC was the biggest difference, but having past knowledge of Boeing FMC/Airbus you pick up on the differences very fast and the adjustment is minimal. I will admit that this plane is alittle more of a challange in some respects, primarily with landing. I love the MD....way to go PMDG....... Vincent