Sign in to follow this  
Guest pietrantonio

Max wx distance

Guest pietrantonio

First off. All of your replies have been awesome, and have helped me configure FS9 to my liking. However. In the real world, there is never 50 nm visibilities. I was wondering if in the fs9.cfg that max distance could be changed to no more than 20 miles? I scrolled through the cfg file, but I wasn't sure if it could be done. Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

I tried doing this but the effect wasn't very believable - you just got the horizon line closer. So I downloaded John Cillis' Soft Horizons from the library, and now there's a realistic haze at the horizon with no issues on too much visibility. Worth a try. :(

In your FS9.CFG file find the following entry and change it from anywhere from 20000 to 50000.20000 is approx equivelent to 20 miles, 30000 to 30 miles etc.MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=30000

Or if you have a registered version of FSUIPC, you can do it too. I think it's in "Visibility" tab, "Apply visibility limits" and then you configure it in 1/100 ths of a mile. I mean, for 30 mi of visibility, you write 3000. There are some other visibility settings for bad weather, you can change them or leave them "as is".Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Guest fnne99

"In the real world, there is never 50 nm visibilities"Never been to the south western US before? We get visibilty over 50miles almost all the time in Colorado.To answer your question about the ugly horizon line in fs9, there is a utility called soft horizon or something like that in the file library that allows the horizon to show much more realistic versus the ugly abrupt line that is the norm in fs9.Good luck!EricJust read the reply above. Sorry for therepeat on soft horizons. :(

I'm not at my FS PC now but you can change visibility from with FS9 itself via the menu under settings (I think). I use UK VFR Photographic scenery and find reducing the visibilty gove a more realistic effect and is recommended by the developers of this scenery

Guest pietrantonio

The soft horizon file works well. I did try editing the fs9.cfg file too, but when I download real-world weather, it still shows up with 50NM visibility. No big deal though, because the soft horizons file really gives it that look like real world flying.

Guest magnum_force
The soft horizon file works well. I did try editing the fs9.cfg file too, but when I download real-world weather, it still shows up with 50NM visibility. No big deal though, because the soft horizons file really gives it that look like real world flying.
I was flying the Bahama's about 3:00am CDT this morning and I got a 9999 unlimited visibility.Never seen that before.I am glad it was pitch dark, I might have seen China.

Guest magnum_force
I was flying the Bahama's about 3:00am CDT this morning and I got a 9999 unlimited visibility.Never seen that before.I am glad it was pitch dark, I might have seen China.

That is ICAO format weather where 9999 is in meters. So about 10 km. It is the equivelent of 10 SM meaning 9999 meters or greater.

Eric Szczesniak