Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

Night textures

Unfortunately ,I messed around with my night textures and now they are all very blurry and not in great shape.I wondered what recommendations you all might have for who makes the best night textures. I would like them to be crisp , not blurry, realistic with good lighting ( might be asking for a bit much in all of that) but i wondered what everyone's exp is on this subject.Thank youPeter

Guest cuizinier

Hi,I have not investigated much into night texture but I find ground Environment pro's night textures nicecheersJulien

Guest Tingoose

If you're looking for some nice freeware night textures Chris Willis did some a while ago which I like a lot. In the Avsim library :- 'fs2k4gnight.zip' and a fix 'gnfixv2.zip'. I always found these very evocative of lights at night and they are nice crisp looking textures.

I agree with the recommendation for GE Pro, but when I was still using freeware, I was impressed with Real Environment Pro.Man, I can't wait 'til the get REX FS9-approved!

Hi Peter and everyone.I found that the best, closest to real flying, night texture is the default MS in both FS9 and X. Just about everything else is too dark. On a clear night flying over LGB, LAX area at night it's amazing how bright and how much light there is. It's especially noticeable when you come out from under the Hood or do turns just North of Catalina / San Pedro channel. I found that i wanted to open up mre even the OR textures.One thing you may want to try is look at the link below and add the Litroads textures to your FS9. FSX has good night textures but the pre Dusk / Dawn are terrible. Why they did that I will never be able to figure it out? The Breakwater is also missing from LGB / Queen Mary Harbor.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=243900TV

Hi Peter and everyone.I found that the best, closest to real flying, night texture is the default MS in both FS9 and X. Just about everything else is too dark. On a clear night flying over LGB, LAX area at night it's amazing how bright and how much light there is. It's especially noticeable when you come out from under the Hood or do turns just North of Catalina / San Pedro channel. I found that i wanted to open up mre even the OR textures.One thing you may want to try is look at the link below and add the Litroads textures to your FS9. FSX has good night textures but the pre Dusk / Dawn are terrible. Why they did that I will never be able to figure it out? The Breakwater is also missing from LGB / Queen Mary Harbor.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=243900TV
Yep... Microsoft did a really nice job with major U.S. metro areas (for night textures), like the L.A. basin, which is what you are talking about. No arguement there. However, for the rest of the world, default night lighting is less-than-satisfying.Please believe me, I'm not trying to call anybody out here... but I'm from the midwestern U.S., and flying over my area at night with default MSFS is like flying over a forest.

Hi deaconblues and everyone.Yes, I agree that many rural areas are having problems, but the Textures used for the Night light, original from FS9 are the closest to being the closest to real, brightness wise.The problem with night light goes beyond the color, is related to the angle of view etc. If you look just below, straight down, it's much brighter, because it lacks 3D view.Deacon, did you try adding, creating, some land class for the area? That should bring some of the areas back to life? TV

Oh, yeah! I was only referring to the default setup; I use UT USA, GE Pro and Flight Env.; much, much better now, thank you.

Oh, yeah! I was only referring to the default setup; I use UT USA, GE Pro and Flight Env.; much, much better now, thank you.
Hey guys thanks for so many commentsI have now messed around even more with texture and i have a fs9 combination of weird lights. What i want to do is go back to the original fs9.1 night lighting and then try it all over it again . is there some place to get the originals . Of course i did not back them up when i changed the lights the first time.One thing i wanted to mention was that when i started playing with the night textures what i really wanted to do was to create much "crisper" looking aircraft and runway lighting. and or course more realistic city lights.Thanks again, thoughts peter

Guest belga1

Hello,

is there some place to get the originals
Maybe a stupid answer ... :) but the original textures are in one of the FS9 CD.If I'm wrong .. please correct me :)Regards.bye.gif

If and when you ever need to restore items from the install disks, these resources will be very helpful:http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/faq001.htmlIt shows where everything is on your install disks and how extract just what you need.I also recommend fs9cddir.zip - compiled by Brian Collins (available here in the library)This is an Excel format listing of all the files on your install disks. A great resource to keep handy.Good Luck! :(

If and when you ever need to restore items from the install disks, these resources will be very helpful:http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/faq001.htmlIt shows where everything is on your install disks and how extract just what you need.I also recommend fs9cddir.zip - compiled by Brian Collins (available here in the library)This is an Excel format listing of all the files on your install disks. A great resource to keep handy.Good Luck! :(
Thanks, I will check it out. What I DONT want to do is reinstall everything , just specific textures. Thanks for the resource, ill lets everyone know how it goes. Pete