Sign in to follow this  
jfri

What do you think about this upgrade packet

On tradera (eBay) for 600 SEK still no bid. What do you think about ithttp://www.tradera.com/Kraftfullt-uppgrade...uktion_84767393A FX-60 best CPU and a dual core for Socket 939A mobo that supports PCI expressWhat could I gain over what I already have?My systemAMD 64 4000+ OC 2.6 GHz2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M AGPWin XP Home
I say save your money for a more worthwhile upgrade. The major difference between your 4000+ and the FX60 is that the FX60 is a dual-core cpu. However, your 4000+ is one of the best cpu's ever made for FS9 back in 2005.If you plan to fly FSX with the system, then the FX60 has a bit more appeal. However, I would not do it, unless 600 Swedish Kroner is the equivalent of $50. Your money would be better spent on Core2 rig or AMD rig of 6000+ vintage or higher.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I say save your money for a more worthwhile upgrade. The major difference between your 4000+ and the FX60 is that the FX60 is a dual-core cpu. However, your 4000+ is one of the best cpu's ever made for FS9 back in 2005.If you plan to fly FSX with the system, then the FX60 has a bit more appeal. However, I would not do it, unless 600 Swedish Kroner is the equivalent of $50. Your money would be better spent on Core2 rig or AMD rig of 6000+ vintage or higher.
600 SEK is now about $75. The rigs you are suggesting is going to cost more than 3000 SEK and my economy is strained. The cost must be taken on credit. Another thing to consider is that mobo included supports PCI express which means I could get a much more powerful videocard compared to my current 7950

A better video card isn't what you need for FSX, it's a faster CPU. The faster the better. A 9800GT might help a little. But a better CPU would help the most.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A better video card isn't what you need for FSX, it's a faster CPU. The faster the better. A 9800GT might help a little. But a better CPU would help the most.
So how would a FX-60 with a PCIe 9800GT compare to my current AMD 64 4000+ with AGP 7950GT?

So how would a FX-60 with a PCIe 9800GT compare to my current AMD 64 4000+ with AGP 7950GT?
Only a small difference! You are still cpu-bound with an FX60 or 4000+, no matter the card you put with them. Actually the 7950GT is well-matched with the 4000+ or FX60. But a 9800GT would be overkill on them.If it were me, and I did buy the FX60 setup, I would be inclined to keep the 9750GT, since anything higher, will not do much for frame rate or image quality. You may see a little improvement, but the big changer is with the cpu.

Rhett

Only a small difference! You are still cpu-bound with an FX60 or 4000+, no matter the card you put with them. Actually the 7950GT is well-matched with the 4000+ or FX60. But a 9800GT would be overkill on them.If it were me, and I did buy the FX60 setup, I would be inclined to keep the 9750GT, since anything higher, will not do much for frame rate or image quality. You may see a little improvement, but the big changer is with the cpu.
If I would buy this FX-60 I would also get a mobo that only supports PCIe (+ 2 * 1 Gb memory modules).So there would be two options1) Put the FX-60 in my current mobo thus keeping my current AGP 7950GT (and not using the mobo I get)2) Use the mobo I get and that would mean I need to buy a PCIe videocard but which oneThe first one of course would mean saving money and no need to reinstall the whole system

Option CSave money and get a core 2 duo system, like a e8500, 4 gb of ram, 9800GT

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On tradera (eBay) for 600 SEK still no bid. What do you think about ithttp://www.tradera.com/Kraftfullt-uppgrade...uktion_84767393A FX-60 best CPU and a dual core for Socket 939A mobo that supports PCI expressWhat could I gain over what I already have?My systemAMD 64 4000+ OC 2.6 GHz2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M AGPWin XP Home
I might mention that the final winning bid for this was 1500 SEK (about $190)

I might mention that the final winning bid for this was 1500 SEK (about $190)
Did you get it?

Rhett

Did you get it?
NO! I'm often surprised what high bids obsolote hardware can have. For 1295 SEK I could get a AM2 mobo with 2 Gb DDR2 RAM and a AMD 64 X2 5000+ CPU

I wouldn't buy air off of ebay.
I can only assume you've had a bad experience with EBay. Most of the components in my PC and nearly all my FS9 software have been bought from EBay with no problems whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I can only assume you've had a bad experience with EBay. Most of the components in my PC and nearly all my FS9 software have been bought from EBay with no problems whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky.
My CPU videocard and two memory sticks and my primary OS and FS hd is bought on tradera(eBay)

I think it worked out for the best that you didn't get that system. It would not be much better in FS than what you have already, no matter what combo of parts you changed out. Something better will now come along for you. I just realized, I sound like a fortune cookie, :)

Rhett