Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stan V

Fix for KSEA scenery - Can Anyone Help?

Guest Stan V

Late last fall, more than one author posted an FSX version of the Seattle-Tacoma International (KSEA) AFCAD reflecting the latest runway configuration (three runways). In order to do this, each had to expand the underlying ground upon which the airport sits which in turn brought the expanded airport property into conflict with the surrounding dense urban ground/road configuration. I tried all the AFCAD files I could find (using FSX Acceleration, Win XP, UTX and GEX) but all still have obvious road traffic crossing the airport property and in some cases even crossing the runways themselves. I fully appreciate the service of those people who are rapidly trying to provide as many FSX AFCAD files as they can for the benefit of us all but I am hoping, someone has the extra tools and the expertise that might lead to a solution - which would probably require rerouting/redrawing adjacent roads and forcing autogen traffic to follow them. I am sure this same problem is evident in other parts of the world as well. The most blatent occurrence at KSEA occurs on the new runway 16R at the north end where autos and trucks actually cross the runway itself. It looks to me, however, as though in at least one instance, one author dealt with a similar situation toward the south end by creating an auto tunnel that diverts the auto traffic under the runways. BTW, the solution I am talking about is independent of the actual airport layout - I have never been to Seattle and am not likely to go any time soon - but from an appearance standpoint, it sure looks out of place in the simulation.Stan V.

The only scenery addon that I could find in the AVSIM library with the added KSEA runway was Owen Catherwood's. The road and traffic, I believe, is unique to UT-USA, and Owen's scenery seems to have excluded the road, but the freeway traffic remains. Unzip and place the attached bgl file in your AddOn Scenery/Scenery folder and the traffic will be eliminated.

Art

Guest Stan V

Art,In addition to Owen's file, Al Wheeler did "seafsx.zip" and Dakota Smith did "ksea_2008.zip" and all reflect three runways - but no one really addresses the whole problem at this airport. You are correct that Owen excluded the adjacent roadways but then it really looked whacky to me to see the car and truck traffic running wild all over the grass. I guess I'll have to ask/look further in the UTX forum about selectively turning off road traffic, if it's even possible.Stan V.

The only scenery addon that I could find in the AVSIM library with the added KSEA runway was Owen Catherwood's. The road and traffic, I believe, is unique to UT-USA, and Owen's scenery seems to have excluded the road, but the freeway traffic remains. Unzip and place the attached bgl file in your AddOn Scenery/Scenery folder and the traffic will be eliminated.

Art,In addition to Owen's file, Al Wheeler did "seafsx.zip" and Dakota Smith did "ksea_2008.zip" and all reflect three runways - but no one really addresses the whole problem at this airport. You are correct that Owen excluded the adjacent roadways but then it really looked whacky to me to see the car and truck traffic running wild all over the grass. I guess I'll have to ask/look further in the UTX forum about selectively turning off road traffic, if it's even possible.Stan V.
The fix attached to my previous reply will take care of the vehicle traffic regardless of which airport file you use. You can easily remove any freeway traffic added by UTX-USA with Airport Design Editor available free in the library. My bgl file only includes the traffic exclusion polygons. It is to be installed in addition to other airport bgl files and does not replace anything you already have.

Art

Guest Stan V

Al,I received your email and replied asking for an email copy of your fix file. I am not sure my reply was actually sent to you, however.Stan V.

The fix attached to my previous reply will take care of the vehicle traffic regardless of which airport file you use. You can easily remove any freeway traffic added by UTX-USA with Airport Design Editor available free in the library. My bgl file only includes the traffic exclusion polygons. It is to be installed in addition to other airport bgl files and does not replace anything you already have.

Hi all,Sorry, I cannot help, but I'm finding related problems with the newer KSEA AFCADS. In my case the exclusions of fsx sceneries did not work at all. (see attached pic) Even if I disable UTX, SceneryTech there is still terrain scenery where airport background should be.I used KSEA_08 (Smith Graphics) or KSEA (Owen C), both of them looked similar. BTW the download (above) does not work.thanks for attentionHarry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Where is Cloud9 or FlyTampa when you need them?.... :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I found no problem with Owen's version of KSEA per the attached picture. Perhaps you didn't install his KSEA_ADE_OC_CVX.bgl file. AVSIM wouldn't allow my traffic exclusion file in the forum. You can email me from within the forum to request a copy.Art

Art

I found no problem with Owen's version of KSEA per the attached picture. Perhaps you didn't install his KSEA_ADE_OC_CVX.bgl file. AVSIM wouldn't allow my traffic exclusion file in the forum. You can email me from within the forum to request a copy.Art
Art, thank You very much, that made it.Harryp.s. I have another problem with pmdg @16L/34C which I posted on pmdg forum.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Guest awheeler

SeaTac 3rd runway addition is an interesting problem and it seems there are several attempts to solve it. Here's my attempt with a few comments:The runway addition is difficult because of the massive fill that was involved to gain the real estate to build it. I finally resorted to doing some minor highway/road rerouting to pick up room on the South end of what is now runway 34L to avoid hanging the 34L localizer antenna system over a cliff. I removed the default AI traffic from a section of highway 509, rerouted the roadway to the West slightly and added AI traffic back to conform to the realigned roadway. That gave me enough room to adjust elevation points to allow for the 3rd runway. I removed several objects that no longer exist on the West end of the field, removed the default airport texture and replaced it to conform to the extended West end, refenced the airport and added the new 16R/34L ILS systems. I also moved the airport beacon from the silly default antique beacon tower on the ramp to where it's actually located on the roof of the old control tower and made several adjustments to surrounding LC textures. I did not have any other 3rd party scenery or enhancements activated when I made this scenery. I'm working on a version to work with MegaScenery but it's such a nightmare trying to adjust field elevations to match the actual airport boundaries I may not complete it in my lifetime. I should mention that there are several versions of AFCAD files out there for SeaTac. The only AFCAD file that will work with this scenery is the one I include in the SEAFSX.ZIP (AFX_KSEA_AW.BGL) and any others must be disabled when using this scenery.Al Wheeler

Apologies for the slightly OT intrusion, but a similar problem with a different airport. Has anyone come across an AFCAD that adds the newish 14/32 runway to KBOS Boston Logan? I've not found one in the usual places.

Petraeus