Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

Fs2crew for MD11 FS9 - 3 questions

Hello,I have just bought Fs2crew for the FS9 MD11 and have three querstions:1. The FO seems to turn on the transponder 18 mins before engine start whilst at the gate. With FS2crew for 747, FO would put transponder into Charlie mode whilst taxiing for take off. When you fly with Vatsim, they seem to prefer that your transponder remains in standy mode whilst at the gate. If there a reason why the FO does this so early and anyway to change this?2. The manual states that if you want to arm Nav and Prof on the ground rather than FO do it after take off, cycle to 'climb and clean up' and right click green PN button until it says 'F' for flaps. However, when I do this, right clicking cycles the green button between 'pn' and 'hdg'. 3. Finally, the FO arms the spoilers if you forget to do so, which is a nice feature. However, this causes problems with my Saitek axis assigned for spoilers, so I would prefer he didn't. Guess there is no work around for this and I must just remember to do it myself before he does, but no harm in asking.Nice program and sorry for daft questions.Renzo

Bill Miller

Hi Renzo,Thanks for the question:1. At the airline I modeled, that's the way they do it. Other companies may do things differently. If it's an issue on VATSIM, just manually turn it off on your own.2. I'll have to check that when I get home. I'm at an internet cafe right now. 3. There is no current work around for that situation off hand. You'll just need to remember to arm the spoiler.Cheers,

Thanks for the reply Bryan. Regarding your responses:1. I have asked in the Vatsim forum and it seems agreed that Vatsim controllers like the squawk mode to remain in standby until taxiing towards the runway for takeoff. This is no small matter as many of us fly online under Vatsim rules. I know that after the FO has switched the squawk mode to C, you can turn it back to standby, but that rather undermines the purpose of having a FO to assist. Not only must I remember to turn the transponder back to standby but then I then have to remember to turn it back to C mode whilst taxiing. Maybe some other Vatsim flyers can chip in with their thoughts.In otherwords, I now have more work to do then if I hadn't installed FS2Crew in the first place! I am not knocking your excellent program, it's just that the FO switching on the transponder before take-off and off again when leaving the runway was one of the best features of FS2Crew as it was something I didn't have to worry about whilst trying to taxi the aircraft. If you would consider an option to change this with any future update, I would appreciate it.2. I will recheck the problem with the PN button tonight to ensure I am following your instructions correctly.3. With regard to arming the speedbrake, this function is normally the Captains's responsibility and so for realism (as well as the problem with my hardware), I would prefer a verbal reminder from the FO rather than him taking the function over. These issues aside, another excellent product.All the best.Renzo

Bill Miller

Regarding point 1 I am surprised that is a company SOP In the real world you are only allowed to go to mode Charlie before line up at certain airports (Atlanta is one airport from memory) as this can cause a number of problems for flight crew and controllers. ILS interference is one potential problem so it should only be switched on when lined up.Rob

Rob Prest

2. With regards to question no.2, I have re-tested right-clicking the green button on the Climb and Clean-up page and you definitely get 'hdg' and not 'F'. However, this relates to FS2Crew Md11 FS9. I also bought FS2Crew MD11 FSX. On this version, the 'PN' does indeed change to an 'F' when the green button is right-clicked. So it would appear to be a FS9 FS2crew issue.YoursRenzo

Bill Miller

2. With regards to question no.2, I have re-tested right-clicking the green button on the Climb and Clean-up page and you definitely get 'hdg' and not 'F'. However, this relates to FS2Crew Md11 FS9. I also bought FS2Crew MD11 FSX. On this version, the 'PN' does indeed change to an 'F' when the green button is right-clicked. So it would appear to be a FS9 FS2crew issue.YoursRenzo
Hi Renzo,I'm back home now so I can check it out.Cheers,

Hi Renzo,I just loaded the FS9 version to see if I could reproduce #2.It works for me.This is on the FS9 version only (the FSX version won't have this functionality until I release the FSX update).You should have three options when you right click the Green Button.PNHDG--Dashes is the one you want if you want to skip the Profile-Nav and Heading calls and go straight to flaps.You see the dashes, right?As for the point regarding transponders: The larger airports that an MD-11 would typically operate out of usually have ground surface detection equipment (I think it's called ASDE-X in the States?) so ATC can keep track of all ground traffic on their screen.So your Transponder needs to be on for that to work.However, I appreciate your situation regarding VATSIM. I'll look at adding a VATSIM specific Transponder option for a future update.Cheers,

Thanks for the response Bryan.With regard to the green button and PN issue, I think the confusion has arisen because of the wording of page 55 of the manual which advises user to right-click the green button until an 'F' appears in order to skip the PN function. I do have the dashed lines but thought it was an 'F' that I was looking for. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.An update that would deal with the transponder issue would be great and I take your point about the ASDE-X system. Just been reading about it on the Vatsim website.I guess I am on my own with regard to the FO arming the spoilers issue. Oh well, can't win them all.RegardsRenzo

Bill Miller