Sign in to follow this  

[ASA] How come I only see fog when I am there?

I am flying a lot in Europe lately and the weather is not that good. So quite often I have to land in IFR conditions. But the weird thing is, that when I am nearing the airport I always can see it VERY clearly in the distance. I just landed on LFPG. While passing it on my way to the approach point it looked completely clear over there. I could see everything. I could see miles and miles in the distance and see the ground without any problems. But when I was on final there was fog all over the place and I could hardly see the runway... That's not right. If there is fog down there, I should have been able to see the ground earlier on.This happens all the time. As if the weather is only being implemented very nearby. I do have the clouds distance in FSX at 70 miles or so and the number of clouds is at max. How come I can always see airports clear from a distance and the fog only appears when I get there...?Another thing I can't get solved is the cloud popping. I know that using the world wide whatever setting makes everything being updated every 10 minutes (or something like that) but when I fly the clouds pop in and out sometimes a few times in a minute. Well, at least, I can't watch outside for a minute and see NO popping at all. Quite often I look outside, see a few clouds, I look down at the instruments and up again and wow, the weather has changed completely...I really do like the overall weather ASA is showing me, I am glad I bought it, but I do not like the things mentioned above.

Hi,Damian posted a number of times about the cloud popping issue over the weekend and there is information in the release notes. We are working on this, but there are limitations in the FSX engine that we are working against.In ASA what visibility options are you using on the Visibility screen?Thanks,

In ASA what visibility options are you using on the Visibility screen?
50 and 60. Or maybe even 60 and 70 (can't check right now). I passed LFPG at about 5 miles or so yesterday. So if there was fog out there, you'd expect to see it from that distance. Maybe it has something to do with the altitude or with the amount of cloud layers...? It's as if certain weather at a certain altitude only becomes visible when you are at that certain altitude. If you know what I mean. But then again, I do see clouds and stuff below or above me during flying... Come to think of it, quite often I have the idea there are only clouds around my position and not in the distance, even though I have visibility set to 50 and 60 and cloud distance (in FSX) to 70... But I can quite often see beyond the clouds, if you know what I mean. As if there are only clouds (and weather) in an area around me. But with a visibility of 50/60 and clouds at 70 that shouldn't be the case, I think.BTW Mind you, I've never ever really used weather and clouds before I bought ASA, so maybe some of this is simply FSX related or an FSX limitation/issue...? And btw 2 I didn't know what I missed until I used ASA. Things look a lot more interesting and varied now!!!

50 and 60. Or maybe even 60 and 70 (can't check right now). I passed LFPG at about 5 miles or so yesterday. So if there was fog out there, you'd expect to see it from that distance. Maybe it has something to do with the altitude or with the amount of cloud layers...? It's as if certain weather at a certain altitude only becomes visible when you are at that certain altitude. If you know what I mean. But then again, I do see clouds and stuff below or above me during flying... Come to think of it, quite often I have the idea there are only clouds around my position and not in the distance, even though I have visibility set to 50 and 60 and cloud distance (in FSX) to 70... But I can quite often see beyond the clouds, if you know what I mean. As if there are only clouds (and weather) in an area around me. But with a visibility of 50/60 and clouds at 70 that shouldn't be the case, I think.BTW Mind you, I've never ever really used weather and clouds before I bought ASA, so maybe some of this is simply FSX related or an FSX limitation/issue...? And btw 2 I didn't know what I missed until I used ASA. Things look a lot more interesting and varied now!!!
i know what you mean !in my opinion this things (and many other :-)) are hardcored in the fsx engine! smoothing visbility from point to point (i

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Regarding the cloud popping, a lot of that has to do with the sprite-based cloud system that has been in FS2000/FS2002/FS2004/FSX. I won't speak for HiFi but my best guess is that there is only so much they can do to minimize it.I'm still hoping for real 3D clouds at some point in the future for our FS. That would be NEAT-O.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB