Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Haze switching on and off with ASA

Hi Jim & Damian,I have a problem that I've not seen described on the forum so I figure it must be caused by my settings. This is FS9.1 with ASA Build 355. I keep getting a continual change in the look of things caused by a blanket haze "switching" on and off every 30 to 40 seconds. I have attached a pair of screenshots, the second taken about 30 seconds after the first:The haze changes just as quickly as flicking between these two shots. I've plenty more where they came from but the upload limits would be exceeded.My settings are as follows:-FSUIPC WindSmoothing - onChanges 8kts or degrees per secondDelay after clearing - 10 secsVisibilitySmooth changes 10% every 2 secsCloudsAdd light cirrus layer occasionallyAdd random turbulenceASAGeneralForce dest wx - onAuto d/load every 20 minsUse local range suppression.All others off.CloudsMax layers - 2Min turbulence - 0Max turb - 100%Min icing - 0Max icing - 100%Other sliders 40 or 45%.WindAloft not disabled.DWC - offSliders - 50, 100, 0, 100, 0, 50Thermals & vert air - default settingsVisibilityFog layer generation - onDisable haze layer - onEnable visibility grad & smoothing - onMin surface vis - 0Max surface vis - 100SMMax upper vis - 60SMUnfortunately this problem is making ASA unusable for me so I hope I've given you enough to see where I have gone wrong with the settings.EDIT: Turning "Render to Texture" on or off makes no difference to this problem. (However having it turned off greatly improves texture loading time on my four year old rig). I have seen glimpses of the greatly improved weather so I really want to use it! :(Thanks Iain Smith

Hi Ian,Ascending or descending?What altitude were you at?Thanks,

Hi Ian,Ascending or descending?What altitude were you at?Thanks,
Hi Jim, thanks for your response. It happens while ascending or descending. Those shots were at about 12000 feet but it happens at any altitude. Attached are a couple of shots while descending from FL280 to FL260 but it happens at higher levels too. Iain Smith

Hi,Turn off fsuipc weather setting as per the manual.FSUIPC about+register TAb. push "weather settings off"CheersJannie

Hi Jim, thanks for your response. It happens while ascending or descending. Those shots were at about 12000 feet but it happens at any altitude. Attached are a couple of shots while descending from FL280 to FL260 but it happens at higher levels too. Iain Smith

Regards
Jannie Roelofse

Flight1 Software Project Manager

Hi,Turn off fsuipc weather setting as per the manual.FSUIPC about+register TAb. push "weather settings off"CheersJannie
Thanks anyway but I did that and it made no difference. There has to be a reason for this but I'm completely out of ideas.Iain Smith

Hi Ian!Here's what I do and is working fine:1- I start allways with a costum saved default flight, at a specified location with the default cessna. In that saved flight I go to 'advanced weather' and set vis. to 20mi/32Km and a block between SFC and 10000ft.2- my visibility options in ASA are 'Max. SFC vis. to 17SM' and 'Max. Upper vis. to 100SM' - this is good for FPS matters and a more hazy atmosphere, that i consider more real.1-1.jpgHere I am at LPPT, 374ft of elevation (ASA depicted 192100Z real time)fs92009-02-1921-41-30-40.jpg3- open FSUIPC and select the visibility tab. Now here's the trick: I set the vis. smoothing begining at 10000ft (the upper limit in FS weather saved flight) and finishing at 42000ft (as I'm not thinking of flying Concorde or some high-performance private-jet)Smooth vis. changes 10% every 1 second. Upper vis. to 8000. 3.jpglets see the result (watch the altitudes):above 10000ft the vis. will begin to decrease smoothlyfs92009-02-1921-43-41-93.jpgfs92009-02-1921-44-32-43.jpgfs92009-02-1921-45-00-26.jpgfs92009-02-1921-45-38-90.jpgnow you can play with the upper vis. option. Mine is set to 80004.jpgtry to change to 10000 and the upper atmosphere changes to this. fs92009-02-1921-49-15-75.jpg(Personaly I prefer a more hazy than this upper clean atmosphere, but taht is just me :( )You can play also with other altitude limits, for ex. SFC to 5000ft, than in FSUIPC from 5000ft to 42000ft. Here, there will be a more graduation, etc.Hope that helped you!Best regards, :( Pedro LimaPortugal

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Hope that helped you!Best regards, :( Pedro LimaPortugal
Thank you Pedro that is very helpful. I will try all that and let you know how it goes. :( Iain SmithUK

Well I tried Pedro's suggestions but they did not make a noticeable difference. What did make a noticeable difference was when I installed the latest certified Nvidia driver for my video card. Although I still get a haze layer switching in and out it is nowhere near as frequent so I might be able to live with it. This seems a little odd to me as the problem never really looked like a driver issue.I am confused about ASA and FSUIPC. The impression I got from the manual is to not have FSUIPC do anything with the weather, leave it all to ASA. However, I still see people posting here recommending different FSUIPC settings. What should we be doing? Or are we still at the experimental stage? :(Iain Smith

Hi,Some users and some planes like the added controls from FSUIPC. I use defaults and things work well for me!Thanks,