Sign in to follow this  
Guest flying_eddie

FSX Gmax object disappearing to early (low distance)

Guest flying_eddie

Hi there,I was building an animated bouye with gmax and placed it in FSX using SBuilder. Everything works just fine, but the bouyes disappear at a low distance already. Is there a way to define a distance when the object is supposed to disappear?I placed an FSX library object beside my bouye - my bouye disappears much earlier, why?Any help is appreciated.GreetingsEddie

Hi,There is not option to specify a distance while placing the object, so most likely there is a level of detail included in the model that does this. Is it a model you made yourself?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest flying_eddie

Hi Arno,thanx for your fast reply. Yes, I did the model by myself. Since it's just one small cylinder as a bouye with a texture 256 x 256, I didn't add any LOD's. Anyway, I thought the LOD's are just to reduce polys in the distance? But maybe I am wrong.I did a lot of modeling for FS9 though, but it's the first time for FSX. So I've learned a lot over the last 3 days. Just imagine, I fiddeled 3 days for a tiny animated bouye... It's totaly different for FSX, still much to learn I guess. :(

Guest simfanatic

Please send me a PM stating your problem exactly, maybe there IS some hope! :(

Guest flying_eddie

I am placing the library object "gen_bouy_01_red, {450ef4a0-41df-48d1-8867-292fbb015b4f}" and my bouy beside each other. When I move away now, my bouy disappears much earlier than the library one.In the meantime I was adding the LOD's for 100, 50 and 10, like Arno said. The result was, that the LOD's showed up before the bouy disappeared, but the distance of completely disappearing didn't change at all.My idea, why it behaves like that is, that my bouy is not as tall (half of the height) as the library one. So maybe with FSX it depends on the size of the objects, when they disappear in the distance.BTW What do mean by "Send me a PM"? Privat Mail?Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst :(

Hi,I always thought that the maximum distance was independent of the size of the object, but your findings seem to indicate that this is not the case. Interesting. You could try to make the object a bit bigger to see if that increases the visibility distance.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog