Sign in to follow this  
fushi

AUTO FLIGHT button on the MD-11 FCP

Captains,On the Tutorial 1 (Page 20 of 35): There are some last steps to take before you are ready for departure. These items are completed while taxiing.Press the 'AUTO FLIGHT' button to arm the autothrust system.On the FCOM (Normal Takeoff PT.20.2):PF advances throttle to approximately 70% N1 and confirms symetrical thrust. PF commands: "Auto Flight, check thrust." PNF pushes AUTO FLIGHT switch,Which is better or what are merits and demerits of each of them?Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Kan-ichiro,this is depending on the standard operating procedures you are using, each airline does things a little bit different with certain items, like the AUTO FLIGHT button.System-wise it doesn't matter at all so you may choose whatever suits you best.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Dear Markus,Thank you for your prompt answer,I understand, I will try both for a while.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

I always press the button after lining up on the runway. During taxi is too dangerous because I've got a very touchy throttle control :( and during take off there are already more than enough things to do.

I always press the button after lining up on the runway. During taxi is too dangerous because I've got a very touchy throttle control :( and during take off there are already more than enough things to do.
Thank you for your good advice. I'm using TM HOTAS COUGAR.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara