Sign in to follow this  
JasonD210

My View on Microsoft's Decision with MSFS

I work as an IT professional in Windows environments and have done so for the last ten years. It's pretty clear where Microsoft are going....the trend is towards centralised control, and subscription based accounts.I don't know what they've got planned for MSFS in the future, but one phrase in particular seemed ominous: Quote Kelda Rericha, a MS spokeswoman: "You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great Live experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time." That a Microsoft spokesperson would refer to the future of our simulation platform with the phrase "including flying games" seems at first to demonstrate a total lack of understanding of how we aviation enthusiasts think. But Microsoft wouldn't make a slip up like that. This a very carefully measured statement, crafted to press home the concept of Windows LIVE to us, in this niche market of simulation enthusiasts. They could not have done it in a better way. Microsoft have their own aggenda, and Kelda Rericha did indeed have a specific message for us here. Her message to us all was: "Live experiences on Windows". We're being prepared. It's very obvious to me that this is all orchestrated to manipulate us, the market, into adjusting to their new concept, Windows Live! which is another step towards 100% control over their products and how we use them, and also 100% control over the 3rd party software developers. Step by step, we're reluctantly moving to place where none of us want to be.You can read Kelda Rericha's comment in this PC Mag article:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339520,00.aspFor the first time ever, I am glad there are Macs, and Linux. And people like Austin Meyer. And the BBC. There will always be minorities and they will always be catered for. Microsoft will end up being for computers what SKY is for television - caterers for the mass popcorn market.

Not that I disagree with most of what you've written, but seriously... ...this is very old and stale "news" by now. This has been cussed and discussed ad absurdum, ad naseaum over the past month and some days... :( There has been other, more fresh news since Kelda Rericha issued that statement which is more positive. A new team is being assembled from some of the former ACES staff, and initial planning is taking place. Once Paul is cleared to do so, I've no doubt he'll provide further information.Even so, I can predict with one hundred percent certainty that there will be a noisy bunch of folks who will reject whatever is finally announced... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The fact that MS refer to Flight Simulator as a game is nothing new to be honest, if you look on the box for FS2002 and FS2004, they both sport a 'PC-CD Games' logo in the top left corner, and the FSX box has a banner across the top with 'Games for Windows' on it.That's probably got more to do with the way they cover the marketing and distribution of it as a product than it has to do with any disdain they have for flight simulation, I'm sure they're well enough aware of what FS means to its long term users.The fact is, no long term Flight Simulator user I know of is going to want to play Flight Simulator for ten minutes at a time on their TV via a gaming console in the manner of a first-person shooter, and even though MS probably wish it were so, they'll figure that out at some point.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here