Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

What's the Difference between FSDS and gMax aircraft?

I ask the question not as a potential designer, but as a user. I'm curious about what difference, if any exists, between the two design procedures and its effect on usability...thanks!Sherm

gMax:- new reflection effects- dynamic specular shining- greatly improved animations- better framerates.FSDS:- the 'classic' aircraft modelling tool- ... none of the things above...- so you haven't got anything outta it if you choose an FSDS model if a corresponding one in gMax exists! :-)Etienne :-wave

Guest ba747heavy

The difference is the program used to create the model ;-)In all seriousness, I believe that FSDS2 allows designers to use more options in different parts of the model, ie more than one or 2 opening doors. I think, anyway :DI know that both programs have reflections, moveable parts, etc.Hope this helps. :-scatter

I won't bash either tool, because both of them are awesome. I just want to point out that the previous advantages that GMax had over FSDS were pretty much eliminated with the release of FSDS V2.Most notably, FSDS v2 uses the floating point operations, just like GMAX. So, any performance gains that GMax had over FSDS were eliminated with the release FSDS V2.Cheers,Allen

One potential issue with FSDS 2 aircraft deals with landing lights and the effects engine. The best example is in Vegas--if one has an FSDS 2 aircraft w/landing lights, and activates them while looking towards the strip--framerates will plummet to 3-4 fps. This appears to be related to the effects used on the strip, such as those for the Bellagio fountains. Only happens in FSDS 2 aircraft, and to date no fix has been released for designers. This may be an issue when FS2004 is released, especially if the effects engine is used even more than it is now. So to say that FSDS 2 aircraft are 100 pct compatible with the GMAX ones may be a bit off..... Something is not quite right, although that wouldn't keep me from downloading a great FSDS 2 aircraft (of which there are many).-John

Guest JonP01

It should be pointed out that Bill Lyon's designs his aircraft using FSDS2, and in my (and many other people's) opinion, his aircraft are not only are beautiful looking, but they are the most frame rate friendly aircraft available.

Guest Milton

As a designer who uses gmax but has many FSDS/2 aircraft, I think the major difference in any aircraft is the designer, not the tool.Milton

Guest Bilbo

As a designer who started with FSFS/FS5.1, then AF99 and who now uses GMAX, I think that the main beef with GMAX is that initially it is a bit harder to learn than FSDS2. GMAX is more a 3D modeling tool and FSDS2 is more for Flight sim 3D aircraft. There are more than a few options in GMAX that aren't related to FS2002 aircraft so people can easily get confused by the extras that they don't need to use. Once GMAx is learned, it can be pretty efficient. The GMAX/FSDS2 aircfaft don't seem to be all that much different from my perspective. One of the original perplexing things was that FS2002Pro came with GMAX ind the tutorials which included one on making a P-38. It was so limited because that tutorial showed nothing about correct parts naming and the FS2002 moving parts useage.Either creation software is a bit leap from what we had used before. Bilbo

>We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there yet!I look at that tagline and think of Amelia Earhardt... she went up but never came down. (oh sure, an argument could be made for gravity, but it comes down to your philosophical answer to the old "if a tree fell in the woods and no one was there to hear it, would it make a sound?")

I want to second the reply to this entirely incorrect message. FSDS2 aircraft are just as frame rate friendly as GMAX aircraft and can include all of the things that were listed as being GMAX only. In fact, unless the author tells you, you will not be able to distinguish FSDS2 aircraft from GMAX aircraft.Thus, for the person that uses the final aircraft, there is no difference.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

"unless the author tells you, you will not be able to distinguish FSDS2 aircraft from GMAX aircraft."Except for my already mentioned effects/landing light bug. When I first reported it, the one person who responded to my thread was also able to reproduce it. For FS2004 compatibility, Abacus will have to get this issue patched, as I suspect the effects engine will see even more use. Here's a link to my original thread on the subject:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

>I want to second the reply to this entirely incorrect>message.Ahh, really. It ain't. If you had read correctly, he actually asked about FSDS, which is obviously FSDS1, not 2. So would you please be do kind and tell me where it is "entirely incorrect".

I don't see that at all - if he had said FSDS1 then you are correct - since he says FSDS I (and all the rest of the world) assumes he means the latest version. So I'm right and you're wrong.--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___