Sign in to follow this  
Paperino60

REX or FEX

When it comes to water textures REX is the winner, no question about that(see first image), though when it comes to clouds it can be argued the FEX clouds are just as nice as the REX clouds, though personally I like the REX clouds much better. As to performance you can use any resolution you want, and even at the default 1024 resolution the REX clouds look awesome(see the second image).So I recommend REX as it has the best water, arguably the best clouds, plus it has a weather engine and airport textures which FEX does not.
Awexome screenshots, especially the water.How does REX/FEX interface with UTX? I know that I should know this answer as it comes up often..... is there any crossover between UTX and REX/FEX?Thanks, Bruce.

Guest sillyeagle
Awexome screenshots, especially the water.How does REX/FEX interface with UTX? I know that I should know this answer as it comes up often..... is there any crossover between UTX and REX/FEX?Thanks, Bruce.
Thanks for the comment. REX/FEX are only replacement cloud/water textures, and UTX is just a data set for road/coast/landclass placement, so they have no bearing on each other, therefor no crossover or influence upon each other. BTW, for those on the line another other reason to buy REX over FEX, is the price. REX is cheaper, despite being superior in all regards.

Guest Tingoose

FEX or REX . . . not sure, but have you considered Supreme Environment Xtreme or SEX as it's commonly called? :(

FEX or REX . . . not sure, but have you considered Supreme Environment Xtreme or SEX as it's commonly called? :(
Yes, yesss, yessssss ohhh yesssssss!! :(

When it comes to water textures REX is the winner, no question about that(see first image),rexfixlow.jpg
What is the Water theme in use in this REX image ?

Thanks for the comment. REX/FEX are only replacement cloud/water textures, and UTX is just a data set for road/coast/landclass placement, so they have no bearing on each other, therefor no crossover or influence upon each other. BTW, for those on the line another other reason to buy REX over FEX, is the price. REX is cheaper, despite being superior in all regards.
Thanks, much appreciated. On my way to go get one of them tonight after work :). One further question- does either REX or FEX offer better night lighting of towns/streets, etc?Bruce.

Hi Guys,Does GEX and REX works together. I have GEX, and looking to buy REX.Any feedback would be much appreciated.Thanks

Thanks Matias, I will buy REX, and no issue in the horizon, since I have GEX already installed. Correct?Thanks

Thanks Matias, I will buy REX, and no issue in the horizon, since I have GEX already installed. Correct?Thanks
REX and GEX are completely different programs. REX takes care of skies and water and also some airports textures, while GEX takes care of land-textures (urban and rural etc.). They won't bother each other.

Hopefully it's freeware for I will never pay for SEX! ;-)

Guest Brad33712
I have both... and I have settled for REX. REX has the Amazing clouds as well as the Amazing water. Currently I am using REX only for textures.
You are using REX for textures only? Can you actually run REX and FEX at the same time? Say use REX for water and runway textures while using FEX for clouds? And drive FEX clouds with the REX weather engine? I have FEX and I like the look... And I've been wanting ASA (Active Sky Advanced) But ASA seems to be having issues (Bugs and turning on DA's Piper Cheyenne radar will crash your system, so says users on their support forum) Sooo, I've been waiting, half hoping FEX's weather engine would be released soon... But what I'm reading this seems like maybe a lost hope... It would be good for an FEX developer to reply!!! HECK, if REX and FEX run at the same time happy, maybe I should get HiFi sims XGraphics as well and use their sky textures... Is their anybody out there actually doing this? Mixing these with success? I've never thought to even attempt such a thing... But I'm pretty new...BradCore2 Duo 3.33Ghz2gb DDR3 Ram300Gb Velociraptor WD HDEVGA 9800GTX+ 1Gb

REX makes better looking screenshots, more dramatic, but FEX seems a bit more realistic. That's just my opinion. Either way, can't go wrong.

You are using REX for textures only? Can you actually run REX and FEX at the same time? Say use REX for water and runway textures while using FEX for clouds? And drive FEX clouds with the REX weather engine? I have FEX and I like the look... And I've been wanting ASA (Active Sky Advanced) But ASA seems to be having issues (Bugs and turning on DA's Piper Cheyenne radar will crash your system, so says users on their support forum) Sooo, I've been waiting, half hoping FEX's weather engine would be released soon... But what I'm reading this seems like maybe a lost hope... It would be good for an FEX developer to reply!!! HECK, if REX and FEX run at the same time happy, maybe I should get HiFi sims XGraphics as well and use their sky textures... Is their anybody out there actually doing this? Mixing these with success? I've never thought to even attempt such a thing... But I'm pretty new...
Little explanation: FEX and REX simply install new custom textures into the FSX texture folders. This means that when you run FSX, it will use for instance the newly installed cloud textures instead of the default cloud textures, because REX or FEX have simply overwritten the default ones. Same goes for skies and water. This also means that you only have to run FEX or REX to install the textures of your choice (GEX clouds and REX water for instance) and after that you can close the programs. You do not have to run them while running FSX, because, as said, both programs simply install textures and after that they are done! If you like the clouds etc. and don't feel the need to change them, you never ever have to run FEX or REX again!Of course, when you want to use the REX weather engine, you wil have to keep it running because REX wil then constantly feed and update FSX with weather data.