Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Using tWo Monitors question

Currently, I have two 24" monitors connected to my Geforce 260 Video Card. Im using Win 7 Beta. I have been using the second monitor to display the GPS or some other window while using FSX. I would like to try to strech the main view either VC or outside view across the two monitors. Ive tried in Window mode, but on the second monitor the display is blacked out. Is their either a config setting or utility to do this? Would Wideview help, or is this just for linking multiple PC's together?Thanks for any advice/helpRob

I've got 3 22" monitors patched into 2 GTX 280s and I've got my VC view stretched across all three. I use windowed mode rather than full screen. I open a new VC view from the Views menu, undock the new view and drag it onto my other screen. I don't use Wideview or anything like that, but I do have to rotate the new VC views so that they line up with the main view. The next bit is crucial. Open the Settings/Controls/Buttons/Keys/Views dialogue and set a keypress to the View - link all (toggle) action. Hit this key when you've got your screens set up and they will be linked when you pan around your VC.You say you've tried "Window mode" in which case the other view was blacked out. I had this problem when I first started experimenting with this setup and I got the black screen when my main view was in Full Screen mode. Hit the Alt + Enter combo to go into Windowed mode, and stay "windowed" whenever you want to use both displays. You can hit the Maximize Window icon at the top of the window to make the most of your display.It's a heck of a sight to see a VC stretched across 54" of screen space! I get a >180 degree peripheral view, and I'll never go back to using just one video card.

Mike Beckwith

Hey, Thanks Mike. :( I got it to work and would not have , with out your instructions. Thanks!I have one question. When I set up the two virtual cockpit screens on each monitor and hit my key command to link them, it looks great, but as soon as I turn my head to the side for example, the side screen angle does not match up any more with the primary screen. Its hard to describe, but it looks like I have to have the second monitor screen tilted at a slight angle for the two sides of the cockpit to match up correctly. Is there a trick to this? (does this make any sense?) :( Rob

Its hard to describe, but it looks like I have to have the second monitor screen tilted at a slight angle for the two sides of the cockpit to match up correctly. Is there a trick to this? (does this make any sense?) :( Rob
I know exactly what you're talking about Rob. Unfortunately that's a concession you have to make to the projective geometry which defines the views. It's barely noticable when you're looking parallel with the horizon, but any view above or below it will reveal that visual discontinuity you've described. I believe the TH2Go device solves this discontinuity, but I don't think the TH2Go device will give you this sort of wrap around view, only a very wide normal view.

Mike Beckwith

I believe the TH2Go device solves this discontinuity, but I don't think the TH2Go device will give you this sort of wrap around view, only a very wide normal view.
Correct, Mike.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hey, Thanks Mike. :( I got it to work and would not have , with out your instructions. Thanks!I have one question. When I set up the two virtual cockpit screens on each monitor and hit my key command to link them, it looks great, but as soon as I turn my head to the side for example, the side screen angle does not match up any more with the primary screen. Its hard to describe, but it looks like I have to have the second monitor screen tilted at a slight angle for the two sides of the cockpit to match up correctly. Is there a trick to this? (does this make any sense?) :( Rob
----------------------------Rob- When you look at a monitor at an angle-(as opposed to seeing it squarely)- the monitor physical dimensions are reduced. But the projected image remains the same- and therefore has to be squeezed into what now seems to be a narrower monitor. Consequently a line such as the horizon will not appear straight across all monitors UNLESS the mons are physically positioned so that each is square (at right angles) to the pilot's eyes.The screenshot shows this phenomena- here the right mon is positioned at about 30

Thanks for all the great explanations guys. I have it working now, where I am very satisfied with how it looks. Im not usinf Triple head to go. But may look into down the road. I can get use to the fact that both monitors dont always line up. Its not an issue for me. This really adds alot to the immersion! Just did a quick flight and I feel like im really sitting in the plane! My frames did not drop either, so Im a happy camper. :( Thanks again everyone for the help!Rob