Sign in to follow this  
Guest PeterPanPan

Flight Time Matrix

Guest PeterPanPan

Hi,Does anyone know where I can get a matrix of flight times between worldwide airports? You know, like the type you get in road atlases where you run your finger along and read off the mileage for your chosen cities ...matrix.jpgAlternatively, is there any way I can get this info out of FSX?Thanks in advance for any help.PPanPan

Guest j-mo

As long as you have the appropriate plane in FS selected, then the Navlog has an estimated trip length. Or go to Flightaware.com and see how long actual flights take.

Guest PeterPanPan

Thanks j-mo. I never knew about flightaware.com - what an amazing website. Really cool being able to track real flights like that.Yes, I know about the Nav Log in FS, but I was actually looking for a worldwide table that you can just glance at and instantly get an overview of flight times to/from any destination i.e. like the road atlas picture in my first post. Do you think there is way to generate such a table from FS with some coding knowledge?ThanksPPanPan

Guest j-mo

It's not as simple as a matrix. Depends on the aircraft, speed, winds, etc. Headwinds and tailwinds will have a significant impact. The longer the flight, the the greater the potential impact.You can start by using the distance between airports using any distance calculator. Here is one: http://www.world-airport-codes.com/ . You'll still need to know your speed and average winds at cruise altitude. Active Sky provides this, if you have it.

Guest PeterPanPan

Thanks again j-mo. I don't actually need this info for flight planning purposes, I only really need approximate times to give me an idea of flight times e.g.London Heathrow to New York JFK: 7hrsSan Diego to San Francisco: 1 hretc.etc.If I can make a matrix of times (and maybe distances too) I can then choose a departure airport and then depending on my mood/time available, run my finger across and see what arrival airports are available within a certain flight time.http://www.world-airport-codes.com is very useful but I'd need to work this out one by one which will take a while. Do you know any calculators like this that would give times instead of distances?Anyway, thanks for all your help so far.PPanPan

Guest j-mo

Travel time will be different depending on aircraft. KSAN-KSFO will be longer than 1 hour if you are in C172, for example.I'd suggest you pick a plane and start flying routes. You'll quickly get used to having an idea of flight time. I do most of my flying in the PMDG 747X. I know that most cross-country flights (USA) are 4.5-5 hours or so. East coast to Europe is longer, trans-pacific longer still.

It's a simple time, speed distance calculation to give you a rough estimate.Pick a route and find the distance, then pick an airplane with sufficient range and then look at it's cruising speed.Divide the distance by the cruising airspeed and this will give you a time. Then I usually add an hour going East or add an hour and a half going West for a basic approximation of winds, takeoff, descent, vectoring and landing.

Guest PeterPanPan

Thanks for your replies guys.PPanPan