Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Continuing slow downloads

I have posted a few times over recent weeks about slow download speeds which I didn't experience during most of 2004.This evening I am trying to download a scenery file which has so far taken well over an hour for a 20MB file. I am on broadband with a 750Mb link.During this download I have frequent time-outs and speeds as high as 10kB/s and as low as 0.1kB/s.During the download I did a tracert and ping.Tracert shows 9 hops, longest time was 93msPing shows longest time of 94ms, no dropped packets.If tracert indicates bottlenecks in the path then those figures suggest there is no bottleneck, unless I have it wrong.Before starting the current download I had downloaded from the 'other site' at 60kB/s and within minutes (maybe 10 minutes) came back to AVSIM to download only to find speeds in the order of 2kB/s.Task Manager shows my download program using 1% CPU time and System Idle at 97%.I use Firefox and not IE but in the past I have switched to IE and find download speeds just as bad.Any advice welcomed.

Yes, its the load on the system. Yesterday was particulary slow because of the over 4,000 downloads of the HNC A300 at 48 megs each (do the math, that's a lot of bandwidth just on that file alone). We don't have limitless resources. We could if we were a "pay for" or charged for "1st class access" like the other site does, but we don't.

Thanks for the reply Tom.>Yesterday was particulary slow because of the over 4,000 downloads of the HNC A300 at 48 megs each

Guest Matt Johnson

The Library is currently extremely busy due to a combination of the Pimental et al Airbus, the LGAV scenery, and the ISD Rome scenery.We are currently putting out over 50Mbit/s just in Library traffic. As a result, download speeds will be slow, and some downloads may fail entirely (although sensible browsers should report the "We are currently very busy" message").Matt