Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Mounting Saitek ProFlight stuff on top of a desk

My joystick died last night and I'm thinking about getting the whole Saitek Pro Flight setup, but I have an issue in that my desk has a keyboard & mouse tray right in front of my chair. Seems like that would prevent the yoke from attaching via the clamp.Is that clamp removable and does anyone know if it would work to attach it say with velcro strips to the top of the desk above the keyboard tray or something to that effect?Thanks!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

My joystick died last night and I'm thinking about getting the whole Saitek Pro Flight setup, but I have an issue in that my desk has a keyboard & mouse tray right in front of my chair. Seems like that would prevent the yoke from attaching via the clamp.Is that clamp removable and does anyone know if it would work to attach it say with velcro strips to the top of the desk above the keyboard tray or something to that effect?Thanks!Ryan
The clamp is removable. I do that and use some small C-clamps to hold the yoke in place. Suppose industrial-strength velcro might also work.Jim Harnes

----------------------Ryan- solution is simple. Make a new keyboard tray to place the KB BESIDE the joystick/yoke. This leaves the orig. tray available to hold charts/approach plates etc and not interfere with any mounting clamps. New tray is 1/4" plexi (or thin ply) mounted with two 75cent steel angle brackets screwed to desk underside and bent back to give a nice slope to the KB. This also allows the KB to be angled toward the pilot for comfort.Two little metal clips on the bottom support the KB and allow it to be instantly removed and replaced on the desk tray for heavy duty typing! Far superior to a tray below the yoke and looks businesslike!!Sorry I can't post a pic- these Hardware forums have no provision for attachments.Alex Reid

----------------------Ryan- solution is simple. Make a new keyboard tray to place the KB BESIDE the joystick/yoke. This leaves the orig. tray available to hold charts/approach plates etc and not interfere with any mounting clamps. New tray is 1/4" plexi (or thin ply) mounted with two 75cent steel angle brackets screwed to desk underside and bent back to give a nice slope to the KB. This also allows the KB to be angled toward the pilot for comfort.Two little metal clips on the bottom support the KB and allow it to be instantly removed and replaced on the desk tray for heavy duty typing! Far superior to a tray below the yoke and looks businesslike!!Sorry I can't post a pic- these Hardware forums have no provision for attachments.Alex Reid
Sat AM- At last AVSIM has enabled pics in the Hardware Forums! This one shows the KB mounted as described above. Note the new swivelling mouse tray attached to the bottom of the (orig) KB tray- and directly under the KB for ease of use. AR

I ended up getting another joystick instead... Just gonna be too much work to mount all the yoke stuff I think. Got the new Cyborg X stick - really like it, but I'm having trouble getting the drivers to install on my XP drive... Nothing Saitek support's had me try has worked so far. The stick works in basic Windows HID driver mode, but I can't get any of the advanced stuff to work.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I was thinking about that setup too. Assuming the clamps come off ... I was thinking that the unit could sit on top of the desk with non-skip rubber under it and on top of it ... leveling it by folding some of the non-skid rubber, and then putting my monitor on top of it. The clamps would then not be necessary. There is always super-clue ... oh just kidding.