Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emcott

Aerosoft Piper Cheyenne X

Guest Emcott

Not sure where to exactly post this, but I'm hoping I can get an answer to this. It should not be much trouble for owners of the software to answer. Does the aircraft have a fully automated approach system or do you hand fly the aircraft maintaining proper throttle and viewing the glideslope? Does it capture the ILS and steer the aircraft or is that also hand flown? I was thinking about buying this aircraft but I've read quite a bit about bug issues still plaguing it. Thanks for your help in advance...

As far as I can tell any FS aircraft which has the autopilot entry in the aircraft.cfg file enabled will capture and follow a glideslope down to the threshold of the runway unless it has been specifically programmed not to. The Piper Cheyenne is a fairly modern and sophisticated aircraft equiped with a complete set of avionics including the ability to follow a glideslope. The autopilot interface in the Aerosoft Cheyenne is an accurate representation of the original; it is non standard compared with other FS autopilots, and will require a quick look at the documentation to get it working properly.The Aerosoft Cheyenne is one of the better add-ons you can get for FSX IMO, and well worth getting.

Mike Beckwith

Not sure where to exactly post this, but I'm hoping I can get an answer to this. It should not be much trouble for owners of the software to answer. Does the aircraft have a fully automated approach system or do you hand fly the aircraft maintaining proper throttle and viewing the glideslope? Does it capture the ILS and steer the aircraft or is that also hand flown? I was thinking about buying this aircraft but I've read quite a bit about bug issues still plaguing it. Thanks for your help in advance...
Yes. the DA Cheyenne can capture the glide path and will follow the glide slope, much like the default Beech 350. It does not have autothrottle - you must manually control the torque and rpm to hold the desired airspeed. It does not have autoland, so you must take over for the actual touchdown. It models an older type autopilot and you adjust the vertical speed by clicking on a control on the autopilot panel. Two of the models included also have an IAS and a best performance mode for climb. The only bug issues I'm aware of involve the Trimble GPS. I've never had a problem with FSX flight plans imported into the Trimble, but some have reported problems with the direct to function and manual inputs. DA has a beta fix for this issue in testing. I ran into a Out of Memory problem on my system, but it was easily solved with the 3gb switch fix.Overall, this is my favorite FSX aircraft - realistic, but a joy to hand fly (I often turn the autopilot off and hand fly the entire approach, just because it's fun).Dale

Dale

Guest Emcott

Thanks very much for both of your replies, They have been very helpful...

Get it, its a joy to fly, i use it both VFR and IFR, GPS and VOR , get the latest beta gps update it updates some gaiges and does help, less crashes now when usng gps.

Guest Emcott

I have every major release addon that there is and I can't make this aircraft follow and track an ILS approach to save my life. Never have I had this kinda trouble before, well maybe some freeware. It intercepts it but refuses to follow the path correctly. The GPS works without a hitch, but even with all procedures followed by the exact letter in the manual, nothing. I mean the aircraft is an utter dream to hand fly, But it just nice to know that the system is working properly. My buddy who owns this, won't even fly it anymore because of this issue, well that and the flickering VC interior light issue, me I could live with it. Glideslope comes alive but never indicates it on the Annu only on the Bug, the aircraft begins to follow but looses the track every time. In VOR mode, NAV 1 radio set to proper freq., switched to ILS and approach armed. If you own this aircraft and can help, it would be great. I'd really like to buy this one because it is truly magnificent. Even with the flickering issues, it still is a great VC lighting experience. But if it has this big of an issue, I'd have to pass. To be honest, I kinda enjoy this more than my new Flight 1 mustang, which I must say is a world unto itself. Its just something about those turbos. Did this aircraft ever have these issues before any updates were applied? If it is only a patch issue that fixes this, than it won't be an issue, being that I would be purchasing the latest release. Thanks to anyone who can help. I would be on the Aerosoft forums with this but I'm not an owner of the software.

I have every major release addon that there is and I can't make this aircraft follow and track an ILS approach to save my life. Never have I had this kinda trouble before, well maybe some freeware. It intercepts it but refuses to follow the path correctly. The GPS works without a hitch, but even with all procedures followed by the exact letter in the manual, nothing. I mean the aircraft is an utter dream to hand fly, But it just nice to know that sytem is working properly. My buddy who owns this, won't even fly it anymore because of this issue, well that and the flickering VC interior light issue, me I could live with it. Glideslope comes alive but never indicates it on the Annu only on the Bug, the aircraft begins to follow but looses the track every time. In VOR mode, NAV 1 radio set to proper freq., swithed to ILS and approach armed. If you own this aircraft and can help, it would be great. I'd really like to buy this one because it is truly magnificent. Even with the flickering issues, it still is a great VC lighting experience. But if it has this big of an issue, I'd have to pass. To be honest, I kinda enjoy this more than my new Flight 1 mustang, which I must say is a world unto itself. Its just something about those turbos. Did this aircraft ever have these issues before any updates were applied? If it is only a patch issue that fixes this, than it won't be an issue, being that I would be purchasing the latest release. Thanks to anyone who can help. I would be on the Aerosoft forums with this but I'm not an owner of the software.
I like the Cheyenne too. The lighting is awesome. It's a sticky wicket though. There is a beta patch out and hopefully there will be a final patch. http://digital-aviation.de/forum/

In VOR mode, NAV 1 radio set to proper freq., switched to ILS and approach armed. If you own this aircraft and can help, it would be great. I'd really like to buy this one because it is truly magnificent.... Thanks to anyone who can help. I would be on the Aerosoft forums with this but I'm not an owner of the software.
Just took off from Meigs, heading north.AP set to ALT arm at 3000 ft, NAV1 tuned to the ILS for KORD Rwy 27, AP to ApproachCaptured the ILS, tracked perfectly right onto the runway.See picture below..

Bert

Guest Emcott
Just took off from Meigs, heading north.AP set to ALT arm at 3000 ft, NAV1 tuned to the ILS for KORD Rwy 27, AP to ApproachCaptured the ILS, tracked perfectly right onto the runway.See picture below..
I don't mean to doubt you on this, but if you truly are in the automated approach sequence the HSI should have switched over to VOR mode and not stayed in the ADF. Right?

I don't mean to doubt you on this, but if you truly are in the automated approach sequence the HSI should have switched over to VOR mode and not stayed in the ADF. Right?
As best I can tell, this HSI has an integrated "RMI readout" which is the green pointer at the 3 o'clockposition. You can select it to show VOR2 or ADF information. This is independent of the CDI whichshows VOR1 or GPS.If anyone can explain it better, please jump in.

Bert

Guest Emcott
As best I can tell, this HSI has an integrated "RMI readout" which is the green pointer at the 3 o'clockposition. You can select it to show VOR2 or ADF information. This is independent of the CDI whichshows VOR1 or GPS.If anyone can explain it better, please jump in.
Are you in FS9?

Guest Emcott
FSX
Just can't figure this thing out. Made the exact same approach as you, set up identical, alt arm 3000ft. It captures the ILS frequency and is unable to hold it. Green indicator is telling it to turn and it does nothing every time. Had to fly several other Addons including the PMDG MD11 just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. This is the only aircraft that does this. It must be the radios. I mean I can't even get an answer to this at the Aerosoft site, 25 have viewed and no answers. No answer from DA either. I've had it. Glad I didn't buy it. It has all the updates too. Someone else must be experiencing this too, it can't be just me. Great aircraft to hand fly though and I love everything else about it. Just to friggin bad I guess!

Just can't figure this thing out. Made the exact same approach as you, set up identical, alt arm 3000ft. It captures the ILS frequency and is unable to hold it. Green indicator is telling it to turn and it does nothing every time. Had to fly several other Addons including the PMDG MD11 just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. This is the only aircraft that does this. It must be the radios. I mean I can't even get an answer to this at the Aerosoft site, 25 have viewed and no answers. No answer from DA either. I've had it. Glad I didn't buy it. It has all the updates too. Someone else must be experiencing this too, it can't be just me. Great aircraft to hand fly though and I love everything else about it. Just to friggin bad I guess!
Try the digital aviaton forumhttp://www.digital-aviation.de/l_html/main.html

You explained it correctly. I don't think anyone is going to explain it any better. FWIW I have never had a problem with the autopilot in approach mode either. I have flown this airplane a lot and it has coupled up with the ILS every time. Though it is important to get down to the proper intercept altitude before intercepting the glide slope.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument