Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Omega Drivers & Riva Tuner: what do do?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi folks,just installed latest release of Omega drivers and...here's a good one for you.After new driver installed all Riva tuner settings revert to default (as usual); what should i do at that point? Suppose i can again o/c my Ti4200 (running pretty stable at @275/530)but, what do i have to do with other settings given that during install procedure i have selected PERFORMANCE option and not QUALITY? Better to stay with default settings and ignore Riva Tuner? And, which setttings in FS2k, can i stick with my previous saved FS2002.cfg?Also, is there a site where i can download the full DX9 and not an online install?Thanks in advancefly safe ;-)Luigi

Luigi,The only reason for installing the Omega drivers is to improve the look of the scenery and aircraft by choosing the Quality option. I see no point in selecting the Performance option - you will see no difference to standard nVidia drivers. The author explicity states that you should not use 3rd party utilities such as Riva Tuner with his drivers otherwise you will undo the effects he has programmed.I suggest you revert to standard nVidia drivers and tweak away to your heart's content.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Ray,quick replay indeed!!!Now, i think i'll uninstall/reinstall omega drivers this time selecting QUALITY; my system should easily hand authors settings:P4 2.53@2.81 GB768 MB ramASUS GeForce4 Ti4200 @275/530after that, if something will not feed my taste i'll revert to standard 41.09What about DX9 question? ;-)ThxxxLuigi

Guest Kurt

Luigi,The Omega drivers are the same as the Nvidia drivers of the same version except for one file which is prepatched to allow greater lod settings, etc. With the regular Nvidia drivers you need to run the patch scripts included with Rivatuner.The Omega drivers have all the tweaks that are put into the registry in the .inf file, there just is no user interface like Rivertuner to allow you to adjust them.Of the Omegas that I have checked and compared the .inf file for performance vs. quality the only difference I found was for the lod setting. The performance setting was set at 0, the same as the Nvidia setting of best quality. The quality setting uses a negative lod setting.If you are happy with the settings you don't need to use Rivatuner other than for for overclocking. If you don't like the settings you don't need to uninstall the Omegas. You can use Rivatuner and override the Omega registry settings just like you would do with the Nvidia drivers of the same version.note from the Omega site------------------------------NOTE:THESE DRIVER ARE "PRE-TWEAKED" DRIVERS, NO PROGRAMMING TOOK PLACE, THEY ARE JUST THE REGULAR NVIDIA DRIVER WITH ADDED TWEAKS AND FEATURES, THE LAST FOUR NUMBERS IN MY VERSION NUMBER REFER TO THE NVIDIA DRIVERS VERSION THEY ARE BASED ON.-------------------------------- Kurt M

Hi Luigi,Good decision! :-) Maybe a PC magazine will have DX9 on the cover CD.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Ray,i already got DX9, what i'm looking for are the more recent DX9a ;-)Now back onto test after a new (quality) install of Omega driverscheersLuigi

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Kurt,thanks a lot for the heads up.I'll give Omega a try w/o tweaking except o/clock and digital vibrance.BTW, do you know another way to increase colours without using digital vibrance settings in Riva Tuner?Thanks againLuigi ;-)

Hi Luigi,I can only think of the Microsoft site where you could download the latest DX version. With broadband it's not a problem but if you only have a 56K dial-up I wouldn't recommend it. Rest assured it doesn't really change anything as far as FS2002 is concerned.Glad to hear you are now running the Quality Omega drivers. I think you'll like what you see :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Lindy

Luigi, you might want to check out the website: www.download.com You can do a search for Direct X and it USUALLY has the recent version of DX that you can download and save on your harddrive or floppy or whatever. -Lindy :-wave

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

thank you Lindy but unfortunately their link redirect to M$DOWNLOAD :-( the initial download is only 290kb in sizeCheersLuigi ;-)

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Just landed at KLAS 25L with my DF734 after a short test flight from KSFO. The first thing i noticed have been red numbers (AI planes numbers and FR counter and so on in the upper part of the screen) and ATC text; i'm not getting crazy!!!Those have never been so sharp and clear to read; a noticeable improvement that lied me to another opinion, that mountain around KSFO and KLAS were also more sharp than before.Tonight i'll try a flight back to KSFO after DX9 installed.What do you think?cheersLuigi ;-)

Hi Luigi,It's been so long since I converted to the Omega drivers I can't honestly remember what the scenery used to look like in the bad old days! :-)What I do remember is reacting much as you have done when I first loaded up FS2002 after installing them. The difference is dramatic and although I have a less powerful machine than yours I wouldn't dream of switching drivers to increase my frame rates.Once airborne take a look at your aircraft from spot plane view. I fly the Posky British Airways B767-300 and the livery looked absolutely fantastic. I'm sure the DreamFleet will too.Another convert it seems :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest FPSFREAK

I knew if I pushed these things hard enough people would catch on...LOL I don't make anything off of hocking them I just think a good thing should be shared.Bobby

I upgraded from my trusty 30.82 drivers to the Omega 43.45s with the "quality" option and really like them! Best performance and visual quality I've seen on my system at 1200x960x32 resolution.For my eyes the best graphics are with 2xAA enabled and the Mipmap setting changed in the properties page to "best quality". This removes the shimmering effect in the textures (at the price of a slight loss of detail) and makes the overall view look very much like the "real thing".P4-2.4, GF4-4200-128.No overclocking, runs totally smooth at 24 fps locked.

Bert