Sign in to follow this  
Guest bekfreak

To go for 1TB or Not.

Guest bekfreak

While I wait for my computer to be built I still have the option to have it updated so I'm debating to seriously put a WD Black 1TB HD in just for FSX. I might use it for some other stuff and seeing how BIG some of the addon files for FSX are I can see this as a worth while $45. I have the 320 drive going in for Vista/Other Games/Apps and my current IDE drive for FS9/Itunes. I ordered it with a 640 gig drive for FSX and I wonder with that big of a drive that it'll bog things down ... well I know it'll be hell to defrag.

Guest simjunkie
While I wait for my computer to be built I still have the option to have it updated so I'm debating to seriously put a WD Black 1TB HD in just for FSX. I might use it for some other stuff and seeing how BIG some of the addon files for FSX are I can see this as a worth while $45. I have the 320 drive going in for Vista/Other Games/Apps and my current IDE drive for FS9/Itunes. I ordered it with a 640 gig drive for FSX and I wonder with that big of a drive that it'll bog things down ... well I know it'll be hell to defrag.
Hello,The 300Gb Velociraptor is the fastest and best for FSX. That being said, if you don't use the Vraptors then a WD Black would be a bit faster then your 320Gb or 640Gb... AS LONG AS FSX is defragged alphabetically (O&O would be used here) and ends up on the outer regions of the disks. That would mean anything else you put there would have to be labeled alphabetically after FSX, like putting "ZZ" as first two letters in any other folder name other than FSX. Also you wouldn't want to fill that disk past 50% ever. But you're still at 7200rpm and the 10,000rpm drives cream that. The difference between the Vraptor and those 7200rpm drives would be more significant than any differences within that group of 3, So don't expect a whole lot.That WD Black is a nice fast drive. I have one, storage only. It seems to be getting the best reliability/performance reviews of all the larger 32mb cache drives. $45 isn't a bad price at all for that baby. If FSX is the only thing on that drive then defrags shouldn't take any longer then you're used to.-jk

Guest bekfreak
Hello,The 300Gb Velociraptor is the fastest and best for FSX. That being said, if you don't use the Vraptors then a WD Black would be a bit faster then your 320Gb or 640Gb... AS LONG AS FSX is defragged alphabetically (O&O would be used here) and ends up on the outer regions of the disks. That would mean anything else you put there would have to be labeled alphabetically after FSX, like putting "ZZ" as first two letters in any other folder name other than FSX. Also you wouldn't want to fill that disk past 50% ever. But you're still at 7200rpm and the 10,000rpm drives cream that. The difference between the Vraptor and those 7200rpm drives would be more significant than any differences within that group of 3, So don't expect a whole lot.That WD Black is a nice fast drive. I have one, storage only. It seems to be getting the best reliability/performance reviews of all the larger 32mb cache drives. $45 isn't a bad price at all for that baby. If FSX is the only thing on that drive then defrags shouldn't take any longer then you're used to.-jk
A 300gb Vraptor is more than I want to spend and I'm a packrat when it comes to flight sim. I have planes on FS9 that I've NEVER flown before. :E But after looking at the new paywear addons like REX, UTX, GenX, Horizons VFR scenery it adds up not to mention the sim itself is pudgy. :)