Sign in to follow this  

Just a thought that came about, after monitoring this forum for quite some time you come to the realization that a lot of easy stuff is being asked at a rate in which it exhausts the experts here and makes them un-willing to takle the guaging problems that people are having instead of building guages for people or teaching them a whole gauge making process.What I'm essentially saying is the wealth of information out there isn't consertrated and is consistent and that isn't well helpful making the task of gauging aicraft a real tuff on.So I was thinking that we Pinn a few basic tutorials that would give good examples to work and learn from, for example the following types of gauges are awesome for beginners and can get increasingly complicated.Lighting Gauges - from just turning on Aicraft lights, to original Panel-Lightning Switches.Normal Switches - from normal FS function like Battery, Avionics, Gen, Fuel, etc. to simple dummys.Rotatory SwitchesDisplaysAutoPilotsTogglesI've learned that the best and most readily available way to learn XML is through examples, and this would be organize examples. I would be more than happy to start this off and just pin a few of my own gauges up with explanations and get the ball rolling if the admins are down for the idea.I just don't want this forum to get bogged down with the repetativness it has been latley, especially repetativness of stuff that can be learned by just looking before asking. :( Thx and sorry for my cute little rant. :(

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Yea I already know fs2x has all those nitty tutorials and such but why can't we build a sort of database of gauges here on the forums with a tutorial, the help that these forums have made such a reputation from is being miss-used it seems. I know where there are a few tutorials and such and the notition that if you're not looking then you shouldn't get the answer that easy makes sense but non-the-less some things like a APU and such aren't easy to find around.No worries, I'd appreciate if the admins let me know if they're down to pinn this sort of stuff. :(

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Yea I already know fs2x has all those nitty tutorials and such but why can't we build a sort of database of gauges here on the forums with a tutorial, the help that these forums have made such a reputation from is being miss-used it seems. I know where there are a few tutorials and such and the notition that if you're not looking then you shouldn't get the answer that easy makes sense but non-the-less some things like a APU and such aren't easy to find around.No worries, I'd appreciate if the admins let me know if they're down to pinn this sort of stuff. :(
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

That's the best place to put such mini-tutorials. I wrote seven of the eight articles on that site's "Panel & Gauge Design" page! :(I have no idea why no one else wants to share though... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's the best place to put such mini-tutorials. I wrote seven of the eight articles on that site's "Panel & Gauge Design" page! :(I have no idea why no one else wants to share though... :(
Only because the thought of converting 112 pages from Word to Wiki puts the wind up me....-Dai

Only because the thought of converting 112 pages from Word to Wiki puts the wind up me....-Dai
As long as you aren't breaking wind, that's alright! ;)Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a series of "single gauge mini-tutorials," describing the process from concept, to design, to execution.I had done one many months ago teaching how to build an altimeter gauge with moving tapes, calibrated non-linear needle, etc. Perhaps I'll find it again and use it as a sample format... :(

Fr. Bill    

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a series of "single gauge mini-tutorials," describing the process from concept, to design, to execution.
That's exactly what I was thinking, just build up a vast shelve of fairly simple gauges and a few paragraphs to describe how it was done how you can do it and what it means to you really. I think that would help people a lot, examples are a big way to learn XML but there aren't many to be had.

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

That's exactly what I was thinking, just build up a vast shelve of fairly simple gauges and a few paragraphs to describe how it was done how you can do it and what it means to you really. I think that would help people a lot, examples are a big way to learn XML but there aren't many to be had.
Say again? There are literally thousands of XML gauges that may easily be "disassembled" and used as examples... :( Unfortunatlely the same isn't true for C gauge coding. There are only a scant hundred or so to be found, and most of 'em are buried very deeply in a dark hole in the Webiverse... :(

Fr. Bill