Sign in to follow this  

MD-11 VC yoke: am I stupid or what...?

I've been flying the MD-11 for about two months now. Having great fun with it! But there is (was) one thing that annoyed me more and more and this morning I even thought about posting something about it on this forum: if PMDG could please, please, please do something about it. The thing is (was) that the VC yoke blocked too much of my view. The lower parts of the PFD and ND were blocked. Luckily I have a TrackIR so looking around the yoke was not too hard, but still... it annoyed me. Specially during take off where I need to keep an eye on the radar alt to see if I could already enable the AP (at 400) and PROF (at 1500). But also during other phases of the flight it annoyed me. You could see it move all the time right in front of the PDF and ND... Why, I thought, didn't PMDG implement an option to remove the yoke from the VC?!?But then, while paying some closer attention to the yoke, I noticed the mouse pointer changed shape when hovering above the yoke... So... I clicked... and OH MY GOODNESS, the yoke moved down instantly!!! B) Giving me a great and aweseome and unobstructed view on the PFD and ND!!! :( Why didn't I see this before?!?! :( Am I stupid or what...? :( B)

Jeroen,indeed that option is there for your convenience. But you must know that the yoke blocks the view precisely as on the real aircraft. I fly the PMDG MD-11 with TrackIR too and have found the yoke to be in the way very much the same way as on the real aircraft. Those folks not having the luxury of a TrackIR will need to lower the yoke to simulate the leaning forward and seat adjustments done on the real aircraft. But guys like you and me with TrackIR should leave the yoke where it is, as real as it gets...Markus

Markus Burkhard

Jeroen,indeed that option is there for your convenience. But you must know that the yoke blocks the view precisely as on the real aircraft. I fly the PMDG MD-11 with TrackIR too and have found the yoke to be in the way very much the same way as on the real aircraft. Those folks not having the luxury of a TrackIR will need to lower the yoke to simulate the leaning forward and seat adjustments done on the real aircraft. But guys like you and me with TrackIR should leave the yoke where it is, as real as it gets...Markus
Markus,Hope I don't have to take this seriously.Regards,Harry

Markus,Hope I don't have to take this seriously.Regards,Harry
He is actually coming to your house as we speak to make sure you don't lower the yoke again.-stefan

Guys,maybe my posting was misleading or poorly written I don't know, after all English is not my native language. All I wanted to say is IF you have TrackIR you should get your seating position right instead of lowering the yoke as this will solve the problem in a realistic manner. Last time I checked you couldn't lower the yoke on the real aircraft... It's very easy to adjust your seat hight when using TrackIR.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard